Baking Cakes Just For A Photo

Business By kcampeau Updated 25 Jan 2016 , 5:23am by johnson6ofus

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 1:03am
post #1 of 4

I started my cake business 6 months ago and now it is coming up on wedding season. I am having luck with kids birthdays and showers but want to get into wedding cakes or cupcake towers. I am trying to just get someone to book me, but I do not have any elegant cakes to show off just kids cakes.

Do you or have you made a cake purely for "show"?

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 1:42am
post #2 of 4

Use styrofoam dummies to decorate so that you can avoid the baking part. You can decorate one minimally, then add some more stuff to it, and do that a few times before you take it apart and start over with it. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 4

You can also decorate the front and back differently.  Be careful with the camera angle.  I've used one dummy cake and gotten at least 6 pictures out of it.  

Front:  Plain with ribbon.  Add flowers.  Add pearls.  Take all that off and using gel and sparkling sugar, cover the entire (half.), four pictures

Back:  use fondant appliques, leave space between them.  Add lots of tiny scroll work in between appliques.  Take apart, outline appliques with contrasting color.  separate tiers and add silk flowers in between tiers.  Three pictures.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 5:23am
post #4 of 4

smiley.png^^^ awesome Leah. Leave it to you to "optimize" this process. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%