Substitute Butter For Margarine In Cake Recipe?

Baking By cuky21 Updated 26 Jan 2016 , 6:56am by Claire138

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I couldn't find the answer to my question, so I apologize if this is a repost.

Can anyone tell me if it's a good idea to substitute butter for margarine in a cake recipe? Butter is very expensive where I live, so I would like to give that a try. 

Thank you.

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/827628/substitute-butter-for-margarine-y-cake-recipe#post_7647052#GBdBRvV0QL4A4btF.99

7 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 8

Typically no, butter is different. I've substituted vegetable shortening plus some added water instead though with good results. But it depends on the recipe (mine actually said either butter or shortening). I find that butter cakes are firmer than oil cakes. Maybe look for a recipe that uses margarine or oil instead?

I've used margarine in cookies with no bad effect, but I've never used it in cake.

Just don't ever substitute margarine for butter in icing, it's completely different and melty, doesn't really set up.

cuky21 Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 8

Butter is also quite expensive where I live (5.80$ for 500g/ 2 sticks) but I don't substitute and I think that's the reason why many people order my cakes. You can taste the difference and if someone chooses price over flavor there is always the supermarket cake stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 9:16am
post #5 of 8

I substitute butter for margarine all the time. I'm Jewish and a lot of my clients are too so they don't want a cake that they can't eat with a meat meal. Margarine falls into the 'parve' category - neither milk nor meat so can be eaten with both. I've never had a problem with it.

cuky21 Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

Quote by @Claire138 on 5 hours ago

I substitute butter for margarine all the time. I'm Jewish and a lot of my clients are too so they don't want a cake that they can't eat with a meat meal. Margarine falls into the 'parve' category - neither milk nor meat so can be eaten with both. I've never had a problem with it.

Thank you! it's nice to know of someone whos had good results.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

Quote by @Claire138 on 18 hours ago

Nice to know! I may just have to try that. Do you notice a big difference or is it something only grumpy people pick up on?

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 6:56am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @craftybanana2 on 2 hours ago

Nice to know! I may just have to try that. Do you notice a big difference or is it something only grumpy people pick up on?

I've never noticed a difference and none of my clients (Jewish or not) have ever said anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%