How Do You Do This On The Sides?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 21 Jan 2016 , 3:19pm by shaloop

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 6

I need to do this on a side of a cake coming up in March and not sure how this is done. looks like it's buttercream. Thanks!

569a9f50a72f0.png

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 6

i would ice my cake not too overly perfect but smooth -- starting at the top of each tier i would pipe icing out of a rose tube* one line at a time then erase the bottom of the piped line so it's all smooth again -- continue all the way down --

*i would find a nice thin rose tube maybe need to smash one down a bit -- maybe use a couple different sizes -- test that out a bit till i got the hang of it -- also a large lily of the valley aka mum tip would work too --

for smoothing that piped line -- i'd wipe off some of the icing so the tier didn't get lumpy and i'd use a smooth weave brand new uber clean folded soft towel to pat out the stray marks if i used American buttercream (confectioner's sugar, butter, cream)

if i used a swiss meringue i'd use a little spatula to get it mostly removed/smoothed then chill it and use my warm fingertip to erase the rest --

if memory serves and you use the ermine, cooked flour type buttercream i think it just smooths like glass any how -- but it might not make such a defined petal or ripple or whatever you call it --

but more importantly CONGRATULATIONS on persevering to get this picture posted :)

YAY RANBEL!

ranbel Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 4:19am
post #3 of 6

Thanks K8memphis.  I also thought it was the petal tip.  I'm definately going to get some practice in before the big day.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

Looking really closely at the picture I think this is finely rolled fondant.  You can see seams and tears and the very edges are painted gold, but you could get a pretty look with buttercream and a rose tip too.

ranbel Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 6

I noticed the gold edges as well.  Thanks for pointing out the seams..I'll have to test with both BC and fondant.

Thanks!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 6

It looks like fondant to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%