How To Place Large (Heavy) Gumpaste Flower On Side Of Cake

Decorating By JustVcakes Updated 17 Jan 2016 , 7:27pm by LeanneW

JustVcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustVcakes Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 6

How do you place a heavy flower on the side of a cake without it sliding down?  I placed a heavy gumpaste (not a flower) on the side of a tier and the tier broke down.  I'm thinking like this:

711b03af-b6a3-4762-9c35-296f8623da5a~rs_768.h?quality=75

107817_orig.jpg

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 6

When I make those I build them onto a shishkebab skewer, just one of those little bamboo ones that you can get at the grocery store. That way there's a food-safe stick that you can cut to be as long as you need it to be and you can insert it directly into the cake. Then use a little white chocolate to attach the flower to the surface of the cake if it's a fondant cake, or buttercream of it's buttercream, and it should stay.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 6

@costumeczar  I was going to suggest melted chocolate too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

yes, that stuff dries like cement!

JustVcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustVcakes Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 6

I vote for this method!

"costumeczar 

When I make those I build them onto a shishkebab skewer, just one of those little bamboo ones that you can get at the grocery store. That way there's a food-safe stick that you can cut to be as long as you need it to be and you can insert it directly into the cake. Then use a little white chocolate to attach the flower to the surface of the cake if it's a fondant cake, or buttercream of it's buttercream, and it should stay."

BUT...

That gold flower looks like wafer paper to me, and wafer paper is virtually weightless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%