Icing For Cupcakes

Decorating By FinalFoxen Updated 27 Dec 2015 , 6:54pm by craftybanana2

FinalFoxen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FinalFoxen Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 9

So I am making my daughter's first birthday cupcakes.My husband nor I like buttercream icing so we wanted to do a whipped icing instead. Does anyone know how well that would hold up for cupcakes or a good sturdy recipe? Or anything else that isn't buttercream or cream cheese frosting.

8 replies
FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 9

What is it that you don't like about buttercream?  Too sweet?  Have you tried making an IMBC or SMBC?  They are less sweet and perhaps will be more to your liking.  

FinalFoxen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FinalFoxen Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 1:07am
post #3 of 9

I don't like anything about buttercream. I would prefer something less thick and no butter

FrostedMoon Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 2:53am
post #4 of 9

I mean this in the nicest way possible.  Have you considered mini pie's?  If you don't like buttercream it might be a better option.  Still try the IMBC or SMBC.  They can be made with earth balance if you want to avoid butter, but if you don't like buttercream there are lots of options other than cupcakes.  Don't be afraid to be different!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

Look ip a recipe for stabilized whipped cream made with gelatin or  whipped cream cheese frosting.  They will hold up at cool room temp for a couple of hours.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 3:55am
post #6 of 9

You could try a whipped ganache instead of a buttercream. Italian or Swiss meringue buttercream is lighter than American Buttercream because they use fluffy egg whites. Otherwise like Shaloop said, look for a stabilized whipped cream icing which is heavy whipping cream, sugar and gelatin. Depending on your weather, the icing may or may not hold up well. Here it's hot/humid all year round, even Crisco droops, ha ha.

@FrostedMoon  pies might be a bit much for a 1-year old to munch on.

If you just want your kiddo to play in it, then just give them a small piece with lots of whipped cream on top laughing.png. I tried to get my son to squish the cake for his first, but he's a very careful kiddo so all we could get him to do was stick his finger in it. Good luck!

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 27 Dec 2015 , 3:56am
tessmilligan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessmilligan Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 4:23am
post #7 of 9

Not sure if you're wanting it to be homemade, but you can go to the bakery at Target (or most grocery stores) and ask for a Tupperware of their whipped cream frosting. They'll let you buy it and it is stable. 

FrostedMoon Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 9

@craftybanana2 she said she and her husband don't like buttercream, nothing about not wanting to feed her nearly 1 year old buttercream.  Easy to make something appropriate for the baby to enjoy and something else (like mini pies) for the guests.  For my first child I made a butterfly cake for everyone to enjoy, but made a mini butterfly cake out of banana bread and frosted it with cream cheese flavored/colored and decorated with fruit for her to enjoy.  My second had eating issues due to being born with multiple internal birth defects that affected his ability to swallow, so he had a cupcake separate from the cake I made for everyone else for his 1st birthday party.  My point was and is, don't feel pigeonholed in to making something you don't enjoy just because some people consider it traditional.  It's okay to be different!

If you are set on the idea of having cupcakes, you may want to try marshmallow frosting.  This is not a recipe I have tried, but might be sort of what you are looking for.  http://www.marthastewart.com/314199/marshmallow-frosting

Just make sure you use a thermometer to make sure the eggs hit a safe temp when cooking.  http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-nutrition/safe-food-handling-tips/

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 9

@FrostedMoon  Oh, right. Pies for the other people... now that's a brilliant idea! I'm saving that one for his next birthday. Cake and mini pies! I can dust off my mini pie press now. Thanks! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%