How Soon Is To Soon To Make My Xmas Cookies

Baking By smile22 Updated 12 Dec 2015 , 12:36am by -K8memphis

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 7

usually  i have more time to make my christmas cookies i try and make them as close as i can to christmas as possible.  if i was to make some cookies this tuesday the 15th some on the 19th and some on the 21st would they all be ok for christmas i know the 21st i would be perfect but i am making 4 types of cookies and to make that many in one day would be a stretch.

i will be storing them in airtight containers 

i am making chocolate cringle cookies

chocolate chip

the anise cookies that are dipped in icing and toped with those colored sprinkle balls

and sugar blossom cookies- the famous peanut butter blosoms mins the peanut butter 

only reason i wanted to start this tuesday is i my grandma is leaving for pa to see her daughters for chrismas and my aunt is coming to get her on the 19th and i wanted to send up two trays of cookies with them 

6 replies
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 7

I have personally never frozen cookies so this is not from a personal experience  but I knew a lady who would bake a mass amount of cookies, make her assortments and then freeze them. How she wrapped and packaged them for freezing I don't know that but I know they were still good. Her husband would go out to the freezer and get a few here and there so I'm assuming just a Tupperware container  is how she froze them with wax paper between the layers of cookies. Not sure if that helps but maybe you could look into freezing them after being baked. I'm sure someone on here has experience with it. 

smile22 Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 7

i dont want to freeze them as i am in an apartment and no freezer space. 

hopefully someone who has made cookes a head of time can help me with this issue 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 7

Freezing is the best option for baked cookies, but here are some other options.

1. Make all of the doughs ahead of time and refrigerate.  Bake all of them off a couple of days before you need them.

2. if they absolutely have to be made more than a few days in advance you should store them vacuum packed.  Without a machine you need good airtight ziplock bags and close the bags most of the way leaving enough room for a straw to be inserted.  Suck as much air out as possible and quickly close the bag.  Put as many bags as you can fit into a plastic airtight box for double protection.

3. Ask a friend to use their freezer.

smile22 Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 7

What if I froze dough balls of the cookies portioned them out baked them on the 21st and then refroze them again would that work or no my issue is I have shifts on the 22nd 23rd and 24th from 8-5 so making cookies after work is really not on my list of things I want to do 

maybe I'll spend my day off on the 21st making cookies all day 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7

yes that will work --

idea for you -- depending on the type of cookie i add pieces of sandwich bread to my cookie containers -- the bread will dry out and the cookies will be softer and chewier -- if i'm mailing them i cut out the bread with a cookie cutter and i inform the recipient -- if it's just to store them i just use torn pieces of bread -- but you want to keep a bit of a barrier because when the bread touches the cookie it will tend to be crumbly but i just put a piece of parchment or waxed paper between them --

you got this -- best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

you could do your measuring today -- just package  & label everything carefully -- i'd wait to crack eggs and open chocolate chip bags till the day of mixing but literally everything else could be measured right now -- another wise thing to do is add any spices, and vanilla to the creamed mixture (typically the sugar)  i'd use plastic bags and containers -- use a marker to identify how many sticks of butter go with which recipe -- 

when i'm not doing this far in advance -- i like to measure out ingredients into different size coffee filters and paper plates so i'm sure i have everything in order before i start adding to the mixer bowl -- it's easy to lose count otherwise -- and who wants to add to the dishes you gotta wash right? disposables are my friend :)

cookie.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%