Help!!! How Do I Use This Cutters?!?

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 11 Dec 2015 , 4:21pm by Pastrybaglady

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 6:22am
post #1 of 6

I  needed this pattern for a cake I am making for Saturday. I bought this cutter http://www.sugarartstudio.com/quatrefoil_cutter.php ( ALI QUATREFOIL CUTTER). 

Today I tried to cut with it and it is a disaster. I think it broke...(the middle fell out) but also it just does not work. The fondant just gets stuck inside it no matter how much icing sugar or conr starch I use or How thick I roll the fondant!

I am so upset as I am making this for my aunts party on Saturday and am running out of time!!! :'( :'( :'(

I tried to put a pic of what happens when I try to use teh cutter but it is not letting me for some reason...

:(

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 7:26am
post #2 of 6

Maybe try laying plastic wrap on top of the fondant and then use the cutter?  Bummer if it broke already!  But you should still be able to use it separately, right?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 6

a couple ideas to try  -- let the surface of your fondant dry a bit so the surface won't be so tacky and sticky --

try spraying the cutter with pam so it will release better

if all else fails try using candy clay aka modeling chocolate it would probably work better than the fondant but you will also have a bit of a color difference

best to you

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 6

The fondant should be stiff, so try adding some tylose or corn starch to it to firm it up a little. When you cut it, really press on the surface  with the cutter and schooch the cutter back and forth a  little to make sure it's totally cut through. Then turn the cutter over and rub the edges with your fingers to get rid of any little edges that might be stuck on the edge of the cutter. The fondant is going to get stuck inside it, that's the nature of those skinny cutters...Once you get the edges cleaned off, turn the cutter over, hold it slightly over the table surface and gently poke the fondant out of the cutter using the handle end of a paintbrush or any other rounded type tool that will fit in there. it will come out bit by bit, then you can let it sit for a while and firm up, then put it on the cake. Don't try to move it right away or it can stretch, give it a few minutes to rest before you pick it up.

You've reminded me that I bought a cutter like that a while ago and it's been sitting in the box...I should take it out and mess with it.

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your help. I tried all your suggestions but nothing is working :( I think I am going to change the design of the cake.

I am just annoyed as it is not a cheap product. I called in to complain but she just made me feel worse telling me that it is a product that is meant for those who know how to use cutters and that she would only refund if I send her the product and she thinks it is a fault with the cutter and not user error. This annoys me because if I send it and she says it is not a fault with the product, I am left with neither my money back or the cutter. If this is a cutter for more  advanced bakers then her site should clearly have said so. I would never have bought it.

Sorry I had to vent. I am panicking  :'( :'( :'(

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 6

Gee,  didn't realize there was such a thing as an advanced cutter!  I think you're right, better to hang on the the useless cutter or try to sell it on ebay with a "for professional use only" label.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%