Cake Fell Apart Before Cool

Decorating By kger Updated 7 Dec 2015 , 2:07am by Apti

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 12:02am
post #1 of 4

Just tried a new German chocolate recipe, and my 3 layers stuck to the pan when I flipped them.  Shoulda used parchment. I know.  Oh well.

This is just for my brother's dinner with us on Tuesday, so no big deal.  I really don't want to rebake.  

My ideas to salvage are cake pops, or perhaps a giant type of cake pop with mixture pressed into a shaped pan?  I have a darth vader pan I would use, so I'm thinking I could mix it up and press it in.  I think I would need some sort of chocolate plaque to coat the inside, right?  Would you use candy melts or ganache?  Would ganache even work?

Any other suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.  He specified German chocolate cake, but I don't care at this point.

3 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

I should add, my brother is in his 40's.  He isn't expecting anything impressive. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 12:34am
post #3 of 4

If it's German chocolate, you could just do a big trifle and layer the coconut and whatever else is in it as layers of the trifle with the broken up cake.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 2:07am
post #4 of 4

I second Costumeczar's idea.  I did a "trifle" cake made after a large baking project.  I had lots of cut-off cake domes and scraps (chocolate/Red Velvet/White cake scraps) that I'd saved in the freezer. 

I layered cake scraps and frosting and ganache and sprinkles in a footed trifle dish.  The dish had been un-used and taking up space in my cupboard for about 4 years....sheesh....

Took it to a large family/friends gathering with a huge spoon and paper bowls/plastic spoons.    My only recommendation would be to be aware of the ratio of frosting/filling to cake.  I got carried away with my trifle and didn't have enough cake to frosting and people had lots of frosting pushed to the side of the dishes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%