What Have You Found To Be The Best Vanilla To Use In Baking?

Baking By joy5678 Updated 17 Nov 2015 , 11:28pm by -K8memphis

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 12:25am
post #1 of 7

6 replies
joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 12:26am
post #2 of 7

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 5:49am
post #3 of 7

To be honest I hate the artificial flavor of extracts and essences.  I only use fresh vanilla bean when making anything which calls for vanilla in a recipe like vanilla cake, cupcakes, puddings etc. 

But that being said I have to admit that I get my vanilla at a very cheap price directly from Zanzibar stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 17 Nov 2015 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 7

I use Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract. I love it! Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GE8N4Y/?tag=cakecentral-20

Don't let the price scare you off, that is for 32oz, which last me about a year but I'm also just a hobby baker. Happy baking :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2015 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 7

here's an interesting study of vanilla including this surprising result

"In two past tastings of vanilla extract, we reached a conclusion that still amazes us: It matters not a whit whether you use real or imitation vanilla, because you can’t tell the difference when you bake."

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/455-vanilla-extract

so i agree that you can't tell a difference when you bake with imitation vanilla -- however like the testers at cook's illustrated, i never use imitation vanilla -- and of course you can tell a difference in icings which obviously are not baked -- btw i use whatever brand comes in the 16 oz squirt bottle from sam's club, mccormick's or kirkland's -- and i use nielson massey vanilla bean paste

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 17 Nov 2015 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 7

I also use real vanilla, from the squirt bottle at Sams or Costco.  I'm not too picky about the brand, but I definitely use real rather than imitation.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2015 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 7

i could hardly bake without the squirt bottle -- i've even refilled it when my membership at sam's lapsed

smile.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%