First Craft Fair!!!!

Baking By awelch414 Updated 11 Nov 2015 , 2:35am by craftybanana2

awelch414 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awelch414 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 1:42am
post #1 of 4

Me and a friend just started a small hobby cake "buisness" we both work full time and we are making cupcakes and  cakes on the side.. December 11 is our first craft fair at the hospital we work for.. We are baking and selling gourmet cupcakes as well as displaying a portfolio of cakes that we have both done and giving out samples of the gourmet cupcakes... Any suggestions from people who have done large cupcake sales.. We are searching for pricing... As well as where the best place to get indicidual cupcake boxes etc!? Thanks in advance!! Also helpful tips on starting a cake buisness!

3 replies
pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 1:48am
post #2 of 4

Not sure what state you are in, but you may want to check out your cottage food laws before selling to the public at a "fair" or farmers market. A fund raiser bake sale is very different than selling for your own profit. Also, at least here in Michigan, there are certain types of food, icing and fillings that cannot be sold from a home baker. Please check your state for info just so you don't have the health department shutting you down.

Chefnme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefnme Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 2:06am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the info @pennyemer, but I already operate under the proper regulations of AZ.  My main concern was prepping for such.  Since this post, I decided to forgo it and just prepare myself to try to do more fairs/markets next year.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 2:35am
post #4 of 4

Congratulations on starting up! And yes, it's probably best to forgo events until you get the business side down pat. Search "pricing" on here and you will get tons of threads about that. Here is one link about pricing: CakeBoss: How Much Should I Charge?  And I think someone on here has a class for sale all about that as well. Since you're not going to be a vendor, go the fair and take note of how many similar bakers there are to you, how many attend, did it rain, ideas for booth set-up, etc. I have seen the more experienced bakers say there is a 10% rule for how many will buy from you. If a 1,000 people go, only 100 will buy baked goods and then split that with how many similar vendors there are.

I have seen a few places recommended for boxes: Brpbox shop, Paper mart, and Webstaurant (shipping is expensive).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%