What Cake Tin Should I Use To Make A 3D Standing Heart? Help Please!!!

Baking By juliemelissa Updated 20 Nov 2015 , 9:49am by juliemelissa

juliemelissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliemelissa Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there, I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can possibly give me some advice.  I am making a Little Miss Hug cake for my daughter's 4th birthday and am unsure as to what shape tin would be the best to use.  Little Miss Hug is heart shaped but if I use a heart tin, she will be flat at the front and back whereas she needs to be rounded.  I was thinking of using a hemisphere tin and putting one on top of the other to form a sphere and then sculpting the heart shape out of that.    Suggestions??  Thanks :-)563145e23eda7.jpeg

7 replies
Baker-ina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker-ina Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 8

If it was me I'd sandwich the heart tin between the sphere halves and carve. 

juliemelissa Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 3:03am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Baker-ina!  Why would you sandwich the heart in between?  For easier sculpting?

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 4:01am
post #4 of 8

Would do the same^^^ I thing she means to torte to have 3 or four layers of cake in order to put filling (buttercream, ganache or whatever you want to use).

Baker-ina Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 4:17am
post #5 of 8

I'm sorry, I just realized this needs to stand vertical and you'll fall apart that way.  So scratch my advice. I suppose stacking / carving your sphere like you suggested would work well. What are planning for the feet? Small round?  

juliemelissa Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 5:25am
post #6 of 8

No worries Baker-ina!  I'll cut each hemisphere in half and ganache in between.  Little Miss Hug is short so I was thinking of putting a couple of rods/dowels in to the setup board with a cake board on top for the first half sphere to sit on.  I would then cover the rods/dowels with fondant.  Do you think that would work?

Baker-ina Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 8

That should work great. Be sure to post a picture it sounds adorable.

juliemelissa Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 9:49am
post #8 of 8

Thanks again for your advice ladies..I was extremely happy with the end result.  I have tried uploading a couple of pictures but it's not working so I'll try again tomorrow :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%