What Should I Do With Apples

Baking By minions Updated 28 Oct 2015 , 4:11am by julia1812

minions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minions Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

SO we had guests come over the other day and they bought 2 full grocery bags of apples. Its a lot of apples and i have no idea what to do with them. I actually don't know what kind they are because the guests picked them from an apple tree from their own backyard. All i know is that they are red organic apples. Speaking of apples, i made apple pie about a week or two ago and the strangest thing happened that never has for me before. The apples released a lot of liquid and stayed soupy soaking the pastry underneath it. ive made apple pie once before and it was awesome, ive made apple crumble many times and its got the same concept but ive never messed up. I also did lattice top this time so there is no excuse of no air passing. I was thinking what could go wrong nd the only thing i can think of is probably that the juices that release after you marinate it i put them in with the pie, not all just a few table spoons. And that i used way more apples. I dont think the fact of which tpe of apple i used is a problem bc i have never used granny smith apples which is what is most recommended for cooking so i am confused at what the heck happened. Frankly i was embarrassed at myself and did not even taste it, as not even the apples were cooked properly. ANYWAY back to apples, what do you think i can make with these giant bag of apples? 

I saw this while browsing, anyone tried it? http://www.marthastewart.com/339869/johns-three-layer-apple-cake

5 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

I have 2 apple trees in my backyard. Golden delicious. We don't spray any chemicals on our trees,  so there organic.  We had a bumper crop this year. Gave a lot away. I peel them, slice, place in bags and freeze. I have a food saver machine, and that removes all the air from the bag which helps the apples keep longer. Once thawed, you can use apples for any manner of apple recipes...cake, pie, muffins, or crisp and of course, homemade applesauce..yum. Lots of good recipes on the web.. Hope this helps.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

Apple butter! It makes for tasty gifts too. You can use the standard canning method, don't need a pressure cooker. It's easy peasy to make with a slow cooker :D

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 3:23am
post #4 of 6

My family loves homemade applesauce!

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 3:58am
post #5 of 6

i see that you said these are red apples. the following is a recipe i used several years ago when my parent's apple tree was producing bumper crops of 'organic' apples, however note it is "Green Apple Cake" and the apples they grew were very tart, firm, green apples. recipe follows:   3 C raw apples, chopped but not peeled   2 1/2 C sifted flour   2 t baking powder   1 t baking soda   1 t salt   2 large eggs   2 C sugar   1C oil   1 t vanilla   1 C chopped pecans   Prepare apples, set aside. Combine dry ingredients. Beat eggs briskly in large bowl. Add sugar, oil, vanilla; mix  well. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, stirring till well blended. Fold in chopped apples & nuts. Batter will be thick. Turn batter into greased & floured 9" tube pan or 9" X 13" pan. Bake @    350 for 55-60 min.   this is a good use of the gift of many apples.  if your apples are extra juicy & you decide to try another apple pie, cut back on any additional liquid in the recipe or make using a crumble on top instead of a crust on the bottom. good luck.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%