Michelle Foster Fondant

Decorating By Mrs.K Updated 20 Feb 2016 , 7:09pm by mstracystreats

Mrs.K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs.K Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 11:13am
post #1 of 11

I have made MFF twice. Its okay but not like the reviews talk about.  I'm getting elephant skin, easy tearing,  and its so hard to knead after i let it rest. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong? I'm living in South Korea and fondant is just beginning to show up here. Looking to get a jump on the market and start selling cakes here  56222d516ca75.jpeg56222d52baf22.jpeg

10 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 11:55am
post #2 of 11

I use an altered version of michelle foster fondant and I love it. It's easy to make and very inexpensive.  

The reason I switched to mff fondant is that I have problems finding marshmallows where I live. Quite often they are out of stock. I find it easier to make a batch of mmf and especially the taste. I used to warm my mmf in the microwave for a few seconds before I use it and I always use shortening to knead it and roll it. Only had problems like elefant skin when it was too dry.

julia1812 Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 11:56am
post #3 of 11

Very nice cakes by the way!

Mrs.K Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 11

Julia1812 what is your altered recipe, if you don't mund sharing.  

Mrs.K Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 11

Oh and thanks for the compliment.  

julia1812 Posted 17 Oct 2015 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 11

I actually substitute some icing sugar for corn starch and/or cocoa powder, use another type of liquid and a mix of syrups (unless I want white fondant). Not wanna go to much into detail. But you can follow michelle's recipe to the dot and  I'm sure you will be pleased with the outcome; )

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 11

I use MFF and love it.  I find that I do not use all of the sugar called for in the recipe.  If I remember correctly, the recipe calls for like 3 - 3.5 lbs of sugar.  I use between 2.5 - 3 lbs.  I use a full 2 lb bag in the mixer and then add a bit from another (2 lb) bag...just until it is touchable (no longer sticky).  Sometimes I have enough sugar in the bottom of the bowl to knead in and be done, sometimes I knead in maybe a couple of cups more.  I've never come close to using 3.5 lbs.  I also stop kneading when it's almost  the consistency I want as it will be perfect the next day.

Mrs.K Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 11

So after the est period, is it quite difficult to knead? Mine is similar to rubber and I can only jnead a handful at a time. Is this right?

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 11

It's a little tough, but I am able to knead the giant ball the next day.  I don't have to break it up to knead it.  Do you plan on coloring it?  The glycerin in the gel colors softens the fondant up, so I will use a little extra sugar for a firmer fondant prior to coloring. If you plan on coloring it, I would do that and it may be the perfect consistency after the color is worked in.  Or perhaps try adding a touch of glycerin to it if you don't want to color it.  I've never tried the microwave route to soften, but there's that, too, and I guess I would try that before the glycerin.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 18 Nov 2015 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 11

A little off subject but ,If you are in Seoul, there are supposed to be several good baking supply shops on the economy.  In Daegu, there is one really close to Don Daegu station called Sam Won.  They didn't have fondant but you could get other stuff there. Since you said you were doing cakes in Canada, I'm assuming you aren't American military- so you don't have apo box address.  If you do, what I did was have my friends send me fondant in a flat rate box. They would take it out of the boxes, and just leave it in the foil. They could load it full and still only cost $19. shipping.  If you do have access to US military bases, Osan gets shipments of wilton and so does Seoul.  I actually found that the Wilton 5lb foil packs work so much better there.  With the difference in Air quality and lack of really good airconditioning- Small packs are better than the big buckets .  If you are in Daegu, and want business- please let me know and I'll let my old clients know. They keep asking me if I know anyone there now!

mstracystreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mstracystreats Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 11

I tried making this for the first time two days ago and it was a total fail.  I kept waiting for it to "turn into a ball" in my kitchenaid but it never did, it was still very soft and sliding down the hook....so I kept adding more powdered sugar until I added 3.5 lb.....split it into two, wrapped it up for the next day, and when I went to knead it the next day it just tore every time I stretched it so I figured it was too much powdered sugar....but without the powdered sugar it was such a sticky mess and hard to knead anyway.  Should I even try this again or just say the heck with it?  I'm about to give up on all fondant at this point lol.  I use satin ice to make decorations and toppers, but that's about it.  Thanks for any help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%