Cake Transportation Question

Decorating By SweetDreams98 Updated 16 Oct 2015 , 4:40pm by SweetDreams98

SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 7:02am
post #1 of 8

I am doing a wedding cake for my cousin this weekend, it's a 10"-8" double barrel (8" high)-6" cake supported with the SPS system (a 7" SPS plate secured with double sided carpet tape in between the double barrel tier which is iced in ganache).  The cake drum is 14" wide.  The cake will be fully chilled and I'm dressing warm and blasting the AC.  The thing is that the venue is 4 1/2 hours away and there are a lot of hills and windy roads.  I always deliver boxed and fully assembled but I'm worried this one may be too top heavy and tip over around a turn since it's so tall?  If it were straight roads I wouldn't be thinking twice but I'll be down in the hills of southern Ohio.  I hate assembling on site but I will do it if it's necessary.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

7 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 9:14am
post #2 of 8

If it were me, I would assemble it at the venue.  Much easier to complete the assembly at the venue rather than try and repair a disaster!  Good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 11:29am
post #3 of 8

Definitely assemble on-site. It will make for a much less stressful 4 1/2 hour ride.

dooberbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooberbug Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 8

I delivered a tall cake last weekend, 30' drive, fully assembled, properly supported... but there's only so much you can do. Mine arrived leaning to one side, and the best way to fix it was to shim the base. Next time I'll be assembling on site.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 8

I'm a total SPS advocate, but I'd assemble this onsite.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 8

For the sake of your sanity, stack on site!  Good luck :-)

SweetDreams98 Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all so much!  I will assemble on site (waaaahhhhhh!) lol

SweetDreams98 Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

Yeah, if Leah is telling me to assemble onsite, onsite it is lol  I've referred to her SPS post roughly 1,000 times over the years lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%