Attaching Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Elizabeth68 Updated 10 Oct 2015 , 2:15pm by Elizabeth68

Elizabeth68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth68 Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 11:41am
post #1 of 3

I think I just posted this, but I can't see it.  I am a home baker and am making my first wedding cake TODAY.  The cake is a 5-tier (6, 8, 10, 12, 14) covered in buttercream.  The bride has ordered a cascade of gumpaste flowers to be placed vertically down the front of the cake.  It is a 12-inch long cascade that is all on one continuous wire.  I am not sure how to attach the cascade to the cake??  Also, I have individual gumpaste flowers to fill in.  What is the best way to attach the cascade and then the individual flowers?

THANKS!

2 replies
CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 3

Wrap the wire in floral tape, and maybe wrap the end with another wire if you feel it is not strong enough. I usually wire all my flowers together but it sounds as if maybe your main spray is already made? You could try wiring in some of your filler flowers before you add the cascade. 

Insert a drinking straw or a bubble tea straw or a plastic dowel where you want the wire to go and trim it just below the surface of the buttercream. Then push it back in - pliers help with this step. Then push your wrapped wire into the straw. Pliers again.

You may want to have wires in the cake in a few places. I would probably build a cascade like that in a few pieces, anchor each, and use the flowers to disguise the joints. You might think about cutting yours apart if it's overwhelming. You would just need to add enough "stem" to each section with floral tape and a stiff wire (say at least one 18 gauge) for insertion into the cake.

As long as your remaining flowers are wrapped in tape I'd just stick them in or use drinking straws to anchor them. Maybe wire together some mini sprays.

Since your cake is buttercream, it will be easy to mar the surface with the flowers. Bend the cascade as much as possible before you attach it into the shape you want.

Finally, I would say DON'T panic if something breaks. A petal or two won't matter and if you lose something big, snip it off with wire cutters and move on with life. Ask me how I know. :)

Best of luck with your cake!

Elizabeth68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth68 Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 3

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%