Tie Dye Decorating

Decorating By Daan113 Updated 28 Sep 2015 , 2:57am by -K8memphis

Daan113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daan113 Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 4

My daughter is turning 9 years old and she wants me to make her a tie dye cake. So I have been experimenting with marebling different fondant colors but we could not achieve the tie dye effact that we were looking for. I don't have an airbrush machine either. I tried to do the effect with buttercream but it didn't come out right. Any suggestions?

3 replies
apowell5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apowell5 Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 4

I have made a tye dye cake a very long tme ago, so im sure there are better techniques out there. I used fondant the best way I could come up with it was using fondant. I missed my colors individually then pulled the colors out into strips and stacked them on top one another, fold them in half then began the pulling mixing process very slowly until I had a pattern I liked. Then carefully rolled it out so as to not mix the colors to much. The key was to not pull mad twist to much to achieve the look I wanted.560859d418c81.png

Daan113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daan113 Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 2:06am
post #3 of 4

Honestly I am leaning towards that choice right now. A problem that might come up is the fact that my daughter wants only shades of blue so when you mix the different shades of blue fondant I'm not sure if the tie dye pattern will come out as opposed to totally different colors. I guess I will have to try that. Thank you so much for your reply

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 2:57am
post #4 of 4

i wonder how using modelling choco instead of fondant would enhance the design making -- idk but i'd try it if it was me -- just with the heat of your hands you could smooth out extra pieces laid on

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%