Delivered A Wedding Cake.. The Suspense Is Killing Me!

Business By Brookebakescake Updated 28 Sep 2015 , 7:58pm by Pastrybaglady

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 4:07am
post #1 of 14

I feel like I haven't been on here in forever because I forgot my password :)

I delivered a wedding cake this afternoon. Delivery and set up went really well, made it to reception early and set up with no problems. I didn't like the tiers of the cake, but loved the flowers I had made, and thought it all put together was fine. I know it'll taste delicious. I set it up at the reception before the bride arrived, as agreed, and I had a family member sign off on the cake, who said it looked beautiful.

But how do you handle not hearing from the bride!! I'd love to know how she felt and if she loved it, but I'm certainly not going to call her on her wedding night; that would be ridiculous ;)

I just can't wait to know how she liked it! Does anyone have protocol they use? I know when I worked as a wedding gown consultant, the etiquette was to send a nice card after the wedding, thanking them for deciding to work with you. But you should never call in case it was disastrous and you don't need to hear how the hem of the wedding gown ripped out and she tripped, etc. This was in a large chain wedding gown store. But as a small business owner, I'd love to hear from my bride, good or (heaven forbid!) bad. But the suspense is killing me!!

13 replies
Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 8:55am
post #2 of 14

I had that happen, only once... She did eventually send a lovely complimentary  email ... But I had ten days of suspense till that point. Subsequently she's ordered two more cakes, which she's loved but is still late in responding. Hahaha... So try and hang in there, I'm sure she'll contact you. It's a bit naughty if these people to respond so late, but better late than never. I hope she responds soon xx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 11:33am
post #3 of 14

interesting -- i never expected to hear feedback from the bride -- she bought a cake -- i delivered it -- case closed :)

numy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
numy Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 11:38am
post #4 of 14

i once made a wedding cake in December and the bride's mother called to thank me and say it was beautiful in February. after a wedding some people are tired or too busy to make the effort, some are just careless

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 11:39am
post #5 of 14

i already knew it met/exceeded expectations -- didn't need to hear it -- but nothing wrong with a little card or email but not expected/needed

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 14

Move on.  Srsly.  Your cake is no longer top of the bride's mind.  Unless it was a disaster, and I'm sure, very sure she'll contact you.  After delivering 1,000 wedding cakes, I can count on one hand the number of brides who gave a compliment after delivery.  I still run into them in my new business, and they remember their cake fondly and compliment me, 5 - 8 years later.  Go figure.  Bottom line, this was a business transaction.  How many times have you thanked the farmer at the farmer's market for the lovely tomatoes you bought last week?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 14

No news is good news! Don't expect feedback unless something went wrong. I get an occasional card or email thank you but it is very rare.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 14

No news is good news, and the bride could be on her honeymoon right now. I'm sure that thanking her vendors is the last thing on her mind. Like other people said, unless there was a problem you probably won't hear form her.

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 1:43am
post #9 of 14

You may not get feedback, don't be upset if you don't!   most brides will give feedback in the form of a referral.  

I didn't give feedback to anyone about my wedding, (except my mother, the planner!)  but I loved the whole thing.

Brookebakescake Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 14

Well, I know no news is good news, so I"ll just go with that :)  I was looking forward to seeing the bride that day, so when I left before she arrived, I was a little disappointed.  Now on to the next!

Brookebakescake Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 14

Well she just texted me lol  she said everyone loved the cake and it was moist and delicious ;)  it was nice to hear from her, especially once I wasn't expecting it anymore.

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 14

I'm absolutely delighted for you!! Congrats and happy ending. So pleased she got back to you. Lovely bride to do that xx

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 14

facepunch.png

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 14

I totally get your feelings about this. I always waited with baited breath to get the stamp of approval from clients, but then I thought about my own habits when someone does a service for me.  If I buy food from a restaurant for a party I never go back and tell them how delicious everything was.  If a plumber fixes my pipes I never send him a gushing e-mail about his prompt service.  The longer I do this the less energy I have to get worked up about these things unless of course everything went wrong, that's a whole different thing!  Very happy you got the good feedback, it always feels nice, but we can't always count on it.  The re-order is the ultimate stamp of approval.

*Last edited by Pastrybaglady on 28 Sep 2015 , 7:58pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%