How To List Your Skills On Application

Business By IsaSW Updated 22 Sep 2015 , 11:54am by IsaSW

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 4

This is my story:

I am trying to get a job at a cake shop down the street, they are right now hiring for sales associate position, the lady I spoke with told me they just hired somebody for the cake decorator position, but right now they are also looking for somebody to decorate cookies.

I was writing on a piece of paper my special skills, and the true is: I don't know how to cut it to only 3 lines, that is all the space I have, on the paper they gave me. I could add a separate page, but I don't want to sound over qualified, all I want is a chance to meet in person with the interviewer, which I already found out will not be the owner, and show them that I will help them in any area they need me, if they can accommodate my schedule, I am a SAHM now, and my duties as a mom are non negociable, I still want to take DD and pick her up from school and then take her to after school activities. So basically I would like to get a job from 9-3:30, even if its minimum wage, my intention behind all this is to get my self in the environment of a cake shop, that some day in the future I plan to own. After my daughter goes off to college, 10 years from now.

3 Years ago, my husband and decided the cake business was killing us as a family and we are blessed not to need my income, so when my husband got a job transfer to Michigan, we came here, left the business and here I am, A Stay at Home Mom and loving it!, but I do want to have the opportunity to work on the other side of the business.

How can I write down enough to make them want to hire them without making them suspicious of why I want that job, we only have one more year here in Michigan so we are going back to Virginia, next fall.

And advice from a Business owners perspective, or somebody that had to apply for a job, what do I write down?, what should I not write down? thanks for your help.

People here in this forum have been of sooooooo much help since I started baking cakes, I knew I had to come here for help.

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure what to advise you but here are my thoughts: if there are only three lines, keep it general, f.e. - baking, filling, icing, stacking, decorating cakes; buttercream/ royal icing/ fondant techniques; flowers and figurines; etc. If they would want a page they would have given you one. Most likely you'll get one of the above as a task during your interview.  Also speed of  your work is a point to consider.

But anyway....being in a simular position as you...why don't you get a licence and work from home? I find it way easier to have my own schedule. I do my thing when kids are at school and after they are in bed. If one is sick I don't have to call an employer to say I won't come to work etc. Have you given that a thought? Or are you keen to take the job as a learning experience sort of thing for your future?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 4

yes what julia said -- speed is your most important skill and if you aren't fast be up front about it but you're going for a cookie sales decorator clerk position right -- something like that --so like you said don't over qualify yourself and avoid deal breakers -- being so rigid with your schedule is quite potentially a deal breaker -- most places obviously need thursday friday saturday peeps --

you might fit in fine even with your schedule so go for it but tone it down like you already said/know -- don't lead with your schedule constraints -- 

would be nice to hear the outcome -- best interview energy and solid job offer wishes to you

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 11:54am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! I will definitely let you hear of the outcome, I am taking the application today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%