Bon Jovi Cake Help Please!

Decorating By satindoll_101 Updated 15 Sep 2015 , 1:45am by costumeczar

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:26am
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I was asked to make a Bon Jovi cake for a birthday, and I'm trying to figure out how to do the sword in the cake part. I've seen some cakes that have a fondant / gum paste sword, but others seem to have a plastic sword. Either way, I'm wondering how it's placed (and stays) on an angle inside the cake? I assume it would smush the cake or slide in it?

ANY input would be much appreciated. TIA!

6 replies
satindoll_101 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:28am
post #2 of 7

Bon Jovi Cake Pics

55f7744fc65ff.jpeg55f7745020751.jpeg

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:29am
post #3 of 7

I have no idea what you mean by a Bon Jovi cake with a sword in it, but you can make a gumpaste sword or a plastic sword that has a dowel in it that you can insert into the cake, then into the cake board to secure it.

costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:31am
post #4 of 7

Oh now I see a photo...Yeah, just make a sword on a dowel that goes into the cake and gets hammered into the cake board. You should probably put the dowel in first to attach it, and built a sword that can either rest on it or slide onto it. If that makes sense, I have a fever so I think I'm making sense but if it doesn't I can draw a picture of it.

satindoll_101 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:32am
post #5 of 7

Sorry, see above. I just added some pics of the cake I am referring to. It's a cake of their logo. 

I don't follow. I know how to insert dowels in the cake, but how do you insert a dowel into the cake board?

satindoll_101 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for you reply, especially considering the fact you have a fever! :0 I understand how to do the dowel for the top half of the sword, but do I need to another dowel for the bottom part? I'm just wondering if that's 1 entire sword going through the cake, of it's 2 separate pieces, and if so, how the 2nd part stays angled like that.

costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:44am
post #7 of 7

Use a hammer and drive it right into the base board so that it's good and anchored. You can get all fancy with hardware for this kind of thing, but it's not that complicated a setup, so keep it simple. If you make the sword out of corrugated plastic that has the holes in it you can slide the dowel through one of the holes to secure it to the dowel. If you can slide it on and off the dowel you can put the dowel in to the cake and the board, then slide the sword onto the dowel, and inset the sword into the cake about an inch to secure it. As long as the dowel is IN the base board it will be fine, the cake and the board will provide enough support to hold it in place.55f778022a5f3.png

*Last edited by costumeczar on 15 Sep 2015 , 1:45am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%