Help! Royal Icing/cut Out Cookie/fondant Mess !

Baking By dgonzalez227 Updated 7 Sep 2015 , 3:14am by dgonzalez227

dgonzalez227 Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:25am
post #1 of 16

So here I am attempting to make cut out cookies from chocolate chip cut out cookie Dough recipe ..most broke and spread while cooking So then I tried a dark chocolate cut out cookies it kind of tasted like Oreos but come out flat My royal icing piping and flooding are not my friend ... All have bubbles and not to mention my ziplock piping bag leaned into one cookie lol

15 replies
dgonzalez227 Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:26am
post #2 of 16

55eb88291acd4.jpeg55eb8829e293d.jpeg These look like a kid made them how do these people

mAke them professionally lol 

dgonzalez227 Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:27am
post #3 of 16

So here I am attempting to make cut out cookies from chocolate chip cut out cookie Dough recipe ..most broke and spred

So I tried a chocolate cookie dough it kind of tasted like Oreos but come out flat 

My royal icing piping and flooding is not my friend ... All have bubbles and not to mention my ziplock piping bag leaned into one cookie lol

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 2:36am
post #4 of 16

they are not that bad -- here's a few cookies ideas --

when you find a good recipe freeze the dough before baking as it tightens things up --

your royal icing looks like it maybe wasn't mixed properly --

did you let your piped outline set up a little before flooding -- your flooding icing might have needed to be thinned more --

please don't take offense if you are mortally averse to store bought icing -- this is just a random idea to reduce the amount of obstacles while you scale the learning curve/s one at a time --

i worked at a place where they heated up the store bought vanilla icing in the little tubs -- and dipped the cookies in it or brushed it on -- works great -- can be colored -- it wraps around the edges so you can leave it clean like that or pipe the outline and leave it like that or flood it -- just whatever you want -- trying this might make it easier by degrees for you to master all the different steps -- just place them on a rack to set up

all that to say your cookies don't look that bad -- seriously -- once they are decorated you will be surprised -- what design were you going for?

Brookebakescake Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 2:38am
post #5 of 16

Eh, at least they'll taste good ;)

first, you used a thicker royal to make a dam/outline BEFORE you filled in with a thinner royal, yes?

to get rid of the bubbles before using the thin royal, stir it up slowly with a spatula, gently.  Then let sit for a bit to allow bubbles to rise. Also, once you put it in the piping bag you can mix gently before closing the bag up  

If you have the bubbles after piping you can pop with a pin, toothpick, etc, or even drop the cookie gently to try to get the bubbles to rise  

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 2:38am
post #6 of 16

here's Jackie's no fail sugar cookie recipe:

dgonzalez227 Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 2:50am
post #7 of 16

Thanks everyone !

About the store bought   I thought it wouldn't set up like royal icing ?

I'm making paint your own cookies 

I did the white thick boarder on about five cookies then used a thinner icing for the insides

i tried a tooth pick to get out the bubbles but it seems to make it worse after a few minutes .

I tried the the shaking  the cookie  lol that didn't go we it ended up slipping and making a mess 

I'm telling you I can't win tonight 

I'm hoping tomorrow they are dry enough so that I can us black icing to outline my designs let that dry and package them for gifts for Saturday I bought stencils custome order all I have to do is swipe frosting on them and then wipe away 

maybe this is easier then crawling the outline one by one 

i tried like three recipes  for royal  icing and I don't know if I'm doing it right lol

first time I used water and meringue  powder then  the sugar

..this time I did the opposite. 

It came out shiny and looked like when you beat egg whites 

As as far as the cookiesi made dough then rolled it out and put it in the fridge and then cut out the shapes 

second time I made dough into a ball then fridge then attempted to ro it and it became so impossible and by the time it's ready to roll it's already super sticky 

ugh I'm ready to spend 5$ a cookie and order for my sons party lol

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 3:11am
post #8 of 16

the stencils will work on a flat surface -- for example the bottom of the cookie -- yes the store bought icing crusts especially since it is heated up -- and probably faster than the royal -- how detailed are your stencils?

MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 6:32am
post #9 of 16

Yes Jackies No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe is fabulous.

Here's a link to a  great chocolate chip 'cut out' cookie recipe also

*Last edited by MBalaska on 6 Sep 2015 , 6:42am
dgonzalez227 Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 16

55ec344e5872b.jpegThanks guys for the help!!! 

I had no idea you could use regular frosting I always thought they wouldn't dry and be stackable 

something new to try !!

this is what my stencil is o had it custom made by someone on etsy 

i fogied wait till the cookies are dry then use that stencil to swipe on black icing and then Taaaadaaaa hopefully this works out 

I totally forgot I have to do the paint pallets also and swipe on white in the circle part 

I don't know how you ladies do it ! lol 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 16

test it first make sure it works for you -- also if it's important to you that your cookies are square/geometrical -- when they are hot right out of the oven you can trim them by pressing down on the edges -- not sawing or anything like that -- use a pastry cutter or a butcher knife with a straight blade or a spatula, as in a hamburger flipper type spatula with a straight edge to press down on the hot cookies -- but they will have a more open grained edge --

nice stencil

got my fingers crossed for you -- please post back with your results -- best to you

dgonzalez227 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:50am
post #12 of 16

dgonzalez227 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:51am
post #13 of 16

This is what I have so far 

apparently using a spatula to put the black icing on broke two cookies 

you can't see it but the minute you lift them they break as I type they break worse 

I can't catch a break lol 

atleast pratice makes perfect  

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:55am
post #14 of 16

Maybe try a sponge brush to "dab" the paint instead of dragging with spatula  

very cute stencil!!

MBalaska Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:58am
post #15 of 16

plastic dough spatulas work also, as they bend and give a bit when doing stencil work.

dgonzalez227 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 3:14am
post #16 of 16

I totally forgot I bought this paint pallet set and it comes with a soft small spatula lol great job me haha 

i saw some videos people had these small round sponges I didn't buy them thinking I could paint these in one by one lll

thanks all for the feed back !!!

tomorrow I will attempt baking new cookies following the recipes posted and shared above wish me luck !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%