Does Anyone Watch Dc Cupcakes??

Lounge By Brookebakescake Updated 5 Sep 2015 , 1:42pm by -K8memphis

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 6

I have been watching this show on a marathon for a few days now, and these sisters are DRIVING ME CRAZY!! If THEY can open (what I'm assuming to be successful) shops across the nation, it would seem that ANYONE can. They are so air-headed, and I'm sure the reality show aspect really plays that up, but OMG; I have never heard such whining!!

<P>Also, I've been wondering about their 3-D cupcake "sculptures" for a while, too. Do you think they use the minis on the sculpture to actually feed people? For most of the jobs, they bring additional regular-sized cupcakes, but they never say if they serve the minis. Before they frost the minis, they look very dark, almost over cooked, and I'm thinking that's on purpose for stability since they're just taping or toothpicking them to the sculpture. If that is the case, though, and they don't eat the minis, it really defeats the purpose of making a sculpture out of cupcakes. If the main part is not really edible, why bother? Should you really be able to call it a "cupcake sculpture" if you can't really eat it?

<P>They seem to use "disco dust" and "luster dust" interchangeably (on the sculptures), and after reading the recent post about disco dust, they are either clueless, or maybe that proves that no one eats the cupcakes from the sculptures.

<P>Sorry for the rant! Thing is, I'm a seamstress by day, and when I'm sitting at my industrial sewing machine doing mind-numbingly boring pieces 100 at a time, I have to watch something! So when I found a baking related show, I was ecstatic! But those two sisters are driving me crazy! I watched all 6 seasons of Cake Boss in probably under a week, and would have KILLED for an Italian bakery in my area when I was done :) DC Cupcakes just makes me want to open a shop of my own because if those two idiots can do it, anyone can.

*Last edited by Brookebakescake on 4 Sep 2015 , 5:32pm
5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 6

Keep in mind most of the episodes are from 2010ish.  No one was really aware how bad disco dust was at that time. But yeah these two opened a cupcake shop and neither even knew how to bake.  Maybe they were excellent business people who were good at hiring good bakers and made sure they kept the recipes.  So what you can take from this is a good business head with no baking skill can make you more successful than an excellent baker with no business sense.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 6

They make me want to gouge my eardrums out. They probably are just clueless about the disco dust, but I've seen plenty of cake shows where the decorators re using things on cakes and handling food in very questionable ways, so they're not alone.

There are also a lot of decorators who will make an entire structure out of PVC pipe, styrofoam and wire and refer to it as "the cake." It's a load of BS.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 6

i've watched it before and as a TV show it held my interest and as a bakery they had to be good/great to generate that much business and need for growth --

they call their mother "mommie" -- repeatedly -- either it seemed to be an overuse of it or it's just so off putting to hear grown women call their mom 'mommie' it is so unusual to me -- maybe even an emphasis on the second syllable for some reason 'momEE' i'm thinking there's some kind of story behind this or something but that is strange -- but it also helped hold my interest so...it worked for them -- idk they seem pretty successful and a little weird like the rest of us

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 6

Pastrybaglady : that seems to be the case.  I read an article that said they maxed out their credit cards to start the company, but didn't ask family for money.  Just seems interesting.  I think Katherine worked in the fashion industry, but it does seem like Sophie had a business or something background; I don't remember. I'm sure it helps that Sophie's husband works in computer security for the government. 

Costumeczar : It's even worse when I'm listening to it with headphones, as i usually am to dampen the sound of my sewing machines.  And, yes, I've seen lots of those shows where most of the cake is, in fact, structure.  And the cake looks inedible anyway.

K8 : that mommeeeeeee thing is so annoying!! I remember another show where they call the woman mommy, but said she's not actually their mom, but this woman is actually their mom. It is slightly weird, but it just goes hand in hand with their jealousy and competitiveness when it comes to her.

I'm just glad I'm not alone.  It seems like they are incredibly successful, and I'd love to know more about the actual business aspects of the show, but as it went along, it just got more and more dramatic.  I'd also love to know how much Katherine actually sees her baby.  I think there was a reason Sophie and her husband didn't have kids, probably because they both work constantly.  But what's the point of having a baby if you're never going to see it?!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 6

gently and respectfully just for the record some of us knew disco dust was inedible and creepy on cakes from the get go so maybe no one certifiably knew how bad it was but some of us suspected/avoided it -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%