Foam Cake Boards

Decorating By kaieta Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 3:21am by kaieta

kaieta Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hello...I'm thinking about using foam board cake circles instead of the cardboard ones. Which ones are better and if I use the foam boards how do I cover them? I'm going to be covering the cakes in fondant so should I just cover the boards as well? Please help...

5 replies
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

Foam boards are very expensive in the UK so I do not use them but you can find lots of tutorials on them on YouTube and pick and choose your favourite method. Personally, I would not consider the naked paper on the foam board to be clean enough to lay a cake on. At least with the pulp paper ones that are covered in foil, I can wash and dry the surface. 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

i agree with shockolata -- and my cake friend on here advised (if i am remembering correctly) to wipe down the foam core paper with vanilla because it has alcohol in it then coat the surface with soy wax -- so the cake is protected -- you of course want to get the right kind of soy wax --

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

yes you can just cover them with fondant -- a lot of us use florist foil which is not food safe -- wilton foil is food safe -- but if you cover the base with fondant i would harvest the center back out -- only leave the part that will show -- no use adding that much unnecessary fondant under the cake kwim -- so you would still want to do the vanilla wipe down and the soy wax cover so when you remove the fondant it is still food safe

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 6

and cover with fondant the day or two before so it sets up so you can't ding it as easy when you place the cake on there 

kaieta Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 3:21am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for the great advice...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%