Fondant Tool Size?

Decorating By LouisNutri Updated 8 Sep 2015 , 9:58am by LouisNutri

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 15

Hi. I'm just starting out on fondant (just made my first batch of marshmallow fondant today!) and now I'm wondering if it's worth the investment/money to purchase fondant/modelling tools? The online shop I've been "window shopping" on recently went on sale with a 10-pc MINI modelling/fondant tool set from $3 to $2.50. There is also an 8-pc regular sized modelling/fondant tool set for $5. Would either of the two be worth it? And also, will size matter with tools for fondant? I'm planning to order some things I've been coveting for a while and want to make it just one ship. Here is a pic of the 8-pc modelling set.

10268716_266712786842852_9212793052404858299_n.jpg?oh=d37a074337bf4db83d4795f36d4a357a&oe=566A1A46

14 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 15

I can't see your picture.  However, the cheap set I purchased is good for texturing, so I am glad I got it, but you'll want to order a quality ball tool (metal - no seam) for smoothing edges of cut-outs or doing flowers.  The ball tool in my set has a seam, so it's completely useless to me.

As far as "mini" or regular, I think that would be your preference as far as what you are comfortable holding.  If you can handle a short pencil, the mini might be okay.   You might have more control with the regular set, but that would be a personal preference.   HTH

*Last edited by 640Cake on 3 Sep 2015 , 1:56pm
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know where you are, but have you looked at local shops? If you use a coupon at Joann's for instance, you can usually get a good deal.

For a ball tool, 640Cake, I found some small wooden "doll" forms, like you would make a tiny wooden doll out of at Joann's and I love them.  I didn't feel like paying $6 for a nice ball tool, so I paid $1, and I love them!

Just look around your local store and see what speaks to you!

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 15

All tools work, no matter the size. As for ball tools having a seam, yes, the cheaper ones do have a seam but nobody is telling you to use it vertically... you can easily use it at a slant and then the seam does not come into play. As a person who has recently invested into tools, I can say that you can use things you have instead of special tools, e.g. the handle of a paintbrush will do for frilling fondant edges or even a toothpick! A bamboo skewer will do for putting dimples into models, holes for eyes. A knife will create a shell effect, will create hair effect, etc. But it is nice to have a special tool set where you have all your modelling tools together and you don't have to look for them. Since you have found some specially priced modelling tools, I say, buy them. If you decide to go pro, you can buy the better quality, but in the meantime you can do your job with them. :)

LouisNutri Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 15

Local shops from where I'm from that sells special baking/deco supplies are 30+ miles away from home and have to take a long ride. I would only travel so far as that when it really requires me, but for this, I don't think it's worth the travel when I can find one online. 

I guess I would try out the one on sale for now, and see how it feels. It's not like I'm going to do some extensive fondant projects right away, anyway. Thanks, guys!

Shockolata Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 11:02am
post #6 of 15

ATTENTION: I ordered a pack like the one you posted a photo of for my daughter to play with. It broke within the first half hour. It was of really disappointing quality although in the photo it looked identical with my more expensive ones. So I take back my advice to buy the cheaper set. Buy a known brand to save yourself the heartache and trouble of reordering. It seems that China is churning cheap copies of things but they don't pay attention to the moulding and sticking of items. My daughter's set had its heads coming off from the start... that would make it unhygienic for food use as you cannot clean inside those tiny holes successfully. I am sorry for saying any set would do. I was basing my reaction on the sets I have personally seen in the cake craft shop I go. Argh!

LouisNutri Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 11:42am
post #7 of 15

OMG. That's awful! I haven't sent my order yet, so that's fine. Thank you for taking the time to inform me of this. I'm going to look at another shop for fondant tools. What brand are you currently using, if you don't mind me asking? Most fondant/modelling tools I see online are unlabeled or Chinese made. So far I haven't seen any bad reviews about their fondant tools breaking. 

Shockolata Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 15

Ι bought a Wilton set from Amazon and moaned about the cost even though it had been discounted. I also moaned that it wasn't complete but come to think of it, it has what I need. This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IE6Y6S4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01 I love the mini palette knife and the tweezers. Makes easy work of putting round balls in the centre of flowers or making decorative borders and can catch bits that the fingers can't catch and pinch fondant to make it look furry/hedgehog-y...

Wilton products are aimed to mums that want to bake but serves our needs well, too. I love the carry case as it keeps everything neat and tidy and I can add my other tools in it.

My other tools were purchased from PME and they are OK although the one I will show you was redundant because ... nowadays you can make ears by sticking a blob of fondant and then pressing your ball tool in it to make a cavity. Wish I had known! You can still use the half moon for smiles on cartoon type models.  http://www.sugarshack.co.uk/equipment/tools/modelling-tools/scallop-and-comb-modelling-tool.html

And the following was the first tool I had bought which I have used quite a lot: http://www.sugarshack.co.uk/equipment/tools/modelling-tools/tool-4-dresden-veining.html I can tell you it was good quality. 

If you must buy online, consider buying off Amazon because of their guarantee. If what you get is not what you expected, you can get your money back. I had an apologetic email from the seller of my defective tool set saying that usually their quality is high and this must have been a defective batch. They offered me my money back even though I had not asked for this which is decent of them. What more can I ask! :)

Shockolata Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 15

Oh before I forget, you will find a pair of embroidery scissors like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004NRSR7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00very handy. They are used to cut flowers from a teardrop shaped piece of modelling paste. You snip pointing the scissors downwards and they produce little triangles which you can then manipulate into petals. You can make many flowers like this. 

LouisNutri Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:45am
post #10 of 15

I'm on the fence about ordering from Amazon because it has not yet franchised to our country, so shipping would cost $$$$. I will try to look for Wilton-branded products from local online shops, though. They usually have Wilton products anyway :D Thanks for your help!!

LouisNutri Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:48am
post #11 of 15

I'm on the fence about ordering from Amazon as it has not been franchised to our country yet, so shipping would cost $$$$ even with just a small item.  But I will look for Wilton-branded products in online shops since they usually carry Wilton products. Thanks so much! :)

Shockolata Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 12:35pm
post #12 of 15

Which country are you in then?

LouisNutri Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 9:15am
post #13 of 15

I'm from the Philippines.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 9:23am
post #14 of 15

I have a set of clay modeling tools, made of metal, I purchased at an art supply store.  A bit more expensive that tools designed for cake decorating, but not that much more.  But they are better made.  A pastry chef I know who also teaches tells her students to buy the clay tools as well.

LouisNutri Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 9:58am
post #15 of 15

I see, that's interesting. I'll see if art stores here have them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%