Need Help Making This Color

Decorating By Durshgirl Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 4:02am by bubs1stbirthday

Durshgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Durshgirl Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 2:55am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,

I'm making cupcakes for an upcoming wedding and need to match to the following 2 ribbon colors (not the ivory one since that's easy). Does anyone have any suggestions how to mix them? I have mostly Wilton colors so that would be easiest.

Thanks!55e6653d06774.jpeg

8 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 3:02am
post #2 of 9

Americolour have a 'dusky rose' colour that would be great for the darker colour and maybe even work for the lighter colour.

lydiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lydiane Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 3:29am
post #3 of 9

waiting for more reply

ssmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssmore Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 3:32am
post #4 of 9

i would agree with bubs1stbirthday, dusky rose would be good choice for both shades.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 3:41am
post #5 of 9

Essentially, instead of being a bright/true pink or red, they're a little "dirty". So you'll add the tiniest TINIEST bit of black to tone it down. TINIEST. ;)

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 5:01am
post #6 of 9

Both the colors to my eyes feel like they have warm undertones.  The light one looks like it has a hint of a yellow undertone and a hint of blue...I would play by starting off with an ivory base which would give you the yellow undertone and then add some regular pink....and start very conservatively to see if it is headed in the right direction. Maybe add a tiny tiny drop of blue.   I think that adding a smidge of black to a regular pink may also give the intended effect too because black is basically all colors 

The darker one, I would start with a deeper pink and add just a small smidge of terra cotta to it to give it a subtle warm undertone of a red+Yellow.   My eyes see warm autumn pinks in those ribbons.

i could be totally blind though...so take my advice at your own risk ;)

I found this page too and maybe this could help :)

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/04/color-formula-1/

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 6:11am
post #7 of 9

I think the dusty rose would be a great start but I would not add black, I would touch it with brown because I also see the warm tones.

Durshgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Durshgirl Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all your advice. I will try the dusky rose as a base and go from there. :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 4:02am
post #9 of 9

Sorry - for some reason I am not getting notifications. The colour is indeed 'dusty rose' not dusky rose and I would add just a touch of brown to get to the darker colour and you may not have to alter it at all for the lighter colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%