Rolling Pin

Decorating By fene Updated 30 Aug 2015 , 8:30am by Brookebakescake

fene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fene Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there. I have been having problems rolling my fondant out with my silicone rolling pin and takes ages. I am not looking at getting a wooden one with handles. I have seen one that is 67cm long and just wondering if this is a good size or too big? Thanks in advance

5 replies
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 6

I got a long one from Lakeland in the UK. It looks formidably long. Haven't used it yet, but will come in handy for larger surfaces. But I have seen Shawna McGreevy use a PVC pipe cut to her preferred size to roll out fondant and modelling chocolate. Do you feel like taking a trip to your local hardware store? I assume that once washed inside and out, it will be safe to use, it is sturdy and you can cut it to size and file the edges. It will produce a really smooth surface. I am kicking myself for not thinking of this solution myself! So much cheaper than buying speciality rolling pins.

gwertheim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwertheim Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 6

http://www.kmnhome.com/aluminum-rolling-pin

I have a 20 yr old marble beast of a rolling pin but I'm going to replace it with the one above once I get more into pastries

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

Size I think is a personal preference. If you feel comfortable using a long pin, then that's all that matters. Fondant tends to stick, so a plastic or silicone pin is often the preferred choice. But I know people who use wood pins on fondant and I just did it a couple weeks ago.  Getting the smooth surface is just a matter of taking your fondant smoother to it after you rolled it out on the counter.

I use a plastic pin for fondant; a heavy wooden pin w/handles is my pie/tart dough pin.  I love the weight to flake the butter into the dough. My French pin is my preferred pin for yeast doughs  like cinnamon rolls, pizza, doughnuts because I don't want a heavy pin making the yeast dough pancake flat.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 6:08am
post #5 of 6

I have a small 6" one for flowers etc, a medium size one for "all the other stuff" and a very long (wooden) one for large cakes since I prefer to roll up my fondant over the pin and unroll over the cake. Works for me...

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 8:30am
post #6 of 6

I have a heavy wooden one that I love for fondant. I use it with The Mat, and it's perfect for even large pieces of fondant  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%