Coloring Fondant

Decorating By sameera Updated 24 Aug 2015 , 1:07am by cupcakemama3

sameera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sameera Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Bakers..

I am getting frustrated now....with this all Fondant business....I colored the fondant this blue color and now it"s not elasticky..it is like this very soft....I am using SATIN ICE white fondant and then add wilton gel coloring...

Also my white fondant starts tearing from the edeges of the cake...I use IMBC... cake is cold...help please

And should I use FONDAX or SAtin ICE.. idon;t see the shine and smoothness anymore..that use to be part of Satin ICE.. It is lot cheaper now for sure...$49 for 20 pounds of fondant...

Have to make 7 tier wedding cake in 10 days...getting all nervous now...

55da0a0025b91.jpeg

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

The two things that you can add to fondant are corn starch to stiffen it and crisco to soften it. I'd take a little of each and experiment to see which one works best for you. A lot of it is personal preference and how it works for you and the humidity in your specific area.

sameera Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 8

I tried adding powdered sugar and it made it wiered..kind of crumbly....i then added a drop of corn syrup.. did not help

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

I'm not sure how to help but I used satin ice one time and that's all it took for me to see that I did not like it.  I experimented around and found homemade fondant soooo much easier to work with and to color.  It's all I use now.  It's not hard to make and while it might take a little time it saves in the long run  less expensive too  

sameera Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 12:41am
post #5 of 8

I don't have time and space in n my kitchen to make fondant

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 12:56am
post #6 of 8

I hate satin ice- sorry. It has frustrated me, made me cry and ruined cakes. It may be user error but I believe it's the brand. It gets gooey and pasty when coloring it. I need it with  powdered sugar and cornstarch till it's a consistency I like. Don't worry about the shine yet. You can always steam it. Also I learned a cool trick for fixing small cracks- mix a bit of your fondant with some water and work it till it's a smooth paste like glue then you can use it to patch up your cake. 

cupcakemama3 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 1:07am
post #7 of 8

Lethe marshmallow fondant I make is made in the microwave all in one large bowl. You just knead it and roll it out on you counter/table/may just like you would the store bought. Takes all of 10 minutes. Plus you can add your color before it gets firm (when it's still just melted marshmallow, cream, white chocolate and vanilla) so it's way easier.

cupcakemama3 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 1:07am
post #8 of 8

Lethe marshmallow fondant I make is made in the microwave all in one large bowl. You just knead it and roll it out on you counter/table/may just like you would the store bought. Takes all of 10 minutes. Plus you can add your color before it gets firm (when it's still just melted marshmallow, cream, white chocolate and vanilla) so it's way easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%