Dark Teal / Blue Emerald Frosting

Decorating By macpherson184 Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 11:14pm by Herekittykitty

macpherson184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macpherson184 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone - I'm looking to make a dark teal, or blue-ish emerald coloured frosting. I'm helping a friend with her jewelery party launch and I would like to make some cupcakes that match one of their new necklaces, see attached photo. Any tips on how I can make this shade? I'm working with Wilton and Americolour gels. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)55d3c7f12f845.png

5 replies
Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:22am
post #2 of 6

I would suggest making the teal color (blue, green, some yellow) using dark blue and for the sparkle you can buy teal luster dust or disco dust from globalsugarart.com

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:23am
post #3 of 6

I would start with a ton of the Wilton teal and see if that works. If it needs to be adjusted from there you can add some dark blue or green to adjust.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 1:08am
post #4 of 6

Just made a cake with Wilton teal coloring and it came out that color.  You really don't have to use a lot to get that shade, it's pretty concentrated coloring.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 2:31am
post #5 of 6

If you want to put shine on it, use luster dust, not disco dust. Disco dust is plastic and isn't supposed to be eaten.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 6

I made a teal cake for my niece a few years ago.  If you are using SMBC be aware that no matter how much you put in, it won't get to a deep color without a little 'help' from heat.  I take a small portion of my colored SMBC and melt in the microwave, only needs a few secs, then add the melted bit back into the frosting and re whip.  In rare cases I have had to melt the whole batch, stir, refridgerate until cooled and re whip to get the truely deep color I was looking for.  And it took much less gel than it would have w/o the heat trick.  A straight teal should get you close to your desired shade.

And yup, luster, not disco dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%