Help Please

Baking By dmchagaris Updated 18 Aug 2015 , 8:14pm by leta

dmchagaris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmchagaris Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 10:00am
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a yellow cake with strawberry, pineapple and peach filling...How do I even begin this? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know where to begin. TIA

6 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 7

Here are 3 tried and true filling recipes to use with your favorite yellow cake.  Sorry I can't get the caps to turn off.  If you are using all 3, is it a 3 tier cake with a different flavor for each, or is it one tier with 4 layers of yellow cake and 3 different layers of filling? that would be for you to check with your client.   Hope the filling recipes help.

PEACH FILLING

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/homemade-peach-filling-for-cakes-52591141

INGREDIENTS

3 cups ripe peaches (about 3 large peaches), peeled and diced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tbsp. corn starch
½ tbsp. water

PREPARATION

Mix 1 ½ cup peaches, brown sugar, and lemon juice in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Smash peaches with potato masher to break down into more of a puree. Add remaining peaches and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Combine corn starch and water until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to peaches. Simmer until thick. Chill in fridge.

STRAWBERRY FILLING

http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-filling-10045

INGREDIENTS

2 ½ cups chopped hulled strawberries (1 pound)

½ cup sugar

2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch

DIRECTIONS

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a heavy saucepan, stirring constantly.  Boil 2 minutes more to thicken, continuing to stir constantly.  Cool completely.

PINEAPPLE FILLING

http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=151060

Ingredients

• 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 1 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, packed in its own juice
    • 3 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. In heavy saucepan combine cornstarch, all of the sugar and salt.
  2. Add pineapple with juice and mix well.
  3. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a bubbling boil, stirring constantly.
  4. Once mixture comes to a boil continue stirring constantly for approximately 5 minutes, or until thickened and its looses it's "milky" look.
  5. Remove from heat and add butter, stirring to melt.
  6. Let cool then store in refrigerator.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

if you do a two layer cake that's torted you have a place for three different fillings -- i would keep them all on the tart side and use a swiss meringue vanilla buttercream

dmchagaris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmchagaris Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 7

This woman says that is a Brazilian recipe....yellow cake with three fruits (all mixed together) layered like that.  I can't for the life of me find this recipe. I asked her if she had one she said no it's just a Brazilian thing. ummmmmmmm ok

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 7

i've never baked for hire that way -- it's kind of interesting -- when it comes to decor a lot of peeps say they can do a similar but not exact look -- when it comes to recipes i've never ever said i can make an exact anything -- i make it my way only but when it comes to decor i can and do copy precisely --

so seriously how you gonna satisfy a flavor stored in her memory banks kwim

could i make a delicious pineapple/peach/strawberry filled cake -- of course i could -- can i make it like the one she remembers -- chance are slim to none --

therefore i usually say, "i don't do legends but i can do a great cake with those ingredients but it won't be like the one in your head"

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 7

I've never heard of that cake. I wonder if it's really a Brazilian thing like brigadeiros, or your customer just happened to eat one here i the States (are you in the US?). I'm from South America and I'm interested in sweets and desserts from all over, especially SA, and I haven't been able to find it. Never heard of it either.

Perhaps you could write to this blogger and ask her if she knows of it. She might be able to tell you the name of it if it exists. She is Brazilian.

http://www.cynthiapresser.com/brazilian-recipes-south-american-cuisine/brazilian-desserts

And let us know! I'm curious now.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with K8memphis. I don't have time to figure out recipes the week a cake  is due.   I have told a customer before, "That sounds amazing, but I don't actually offer that flavor combination.  Here's a flavor list." and make suggestions.  It's not worth the aggravation, and when the order is so specific, and you have no idea what it should look or taste like, the likelihood for customer dissatisfaction is too high to risk it.  

It's a weird point in your business when you change from trying so hard to get orders to turning away business for various reasons.  But after you do it a while, your life will be much less hectic.  It's likely they'll go with what you already make that tastes great. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%