Traveling With Wedding Cake

Decorating By bbrumett Updated 12 Aug 2015 , 5:09pm by Honey6983

bbrumett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbrumett Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone traveled hours with a wedding cake? I have wedding cake coming up in October that is about 4 hours away. Bride hasn't decided fondant or buttercream just yet, although I'm hoping fondant since I wrap it well and then stack tiers when we arrive. I plan on putting it in boxes with dry ice to keep it super cold. It will more than likely only be a 3 tier so not a really big cake but I will also have the grooms cake. I may be crazy for agreeing to this but its for a friend from high school and I'm looking forward to it just gotta figure out the best way to travel!

4 replies
flourandsun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourandsun Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 5

I'm doing the same thing in September but traveling 6 hours and am wondering the same thing. I specifically told them that I'm going to cover the cakes in fondant because I'm traveling so far. I was going to pack them in separate boxes and assemble there because that's just too much anxiety to travel with it stacked! Good Luck! :)

bbrumett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbrumett Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah I was thinking get the cakes good and cold and cover them in aluminum foil. I know alot of people have issues with putting cakes with fondant in the refrigerator but I swear by it! My cakes do so much better that way. But then again I live in a very hot and humid climate. If I didn't my cakes would be mush lol! And I make my own fondant too using Liz Marek's recipe, love it!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

Make sure you double wrap the boxes with plastic wrap and once with foil before freezing.  Place the boxes on top of the dry ice for traveling.  Don't unwrap until they're completely thawed - - that way any condensation will be on the wrapper and not the cakes.

I took one fondant cake and one buttercream cake from Texas to California (23 hours) in August.  They both made the trip without any problems and tasted great.

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 5

Use the SPS system!! I have traveled distances near to far with a 3 tiered cake already completely stacked (in a very cool car!). I can't say enough about this system. Takes all the worry out of traveling with a cake. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. My cakes are never refrigerated by the way, just kept cool in A/C and most of my cakes are buttercream. The only reason I don't travel with a completely stacked cake is if it's 4+ tiers and too heavy to lift, and in that case I'll stack 2 and 2 and put them together on site. Never had a problem. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%