Buttercream Decorators

Decorating By BCJean Updated 9 Aug 2015 , 10:34pm by remnant3333

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 10:16am
post #1 of 9

I am thinking of making some youtube videos of carving 8 inch layer cakes and icing with buttercream.  These would be cakes which could be made in 10 to 30 minutes and would be a variety of subjects......a frog, crab, stack of pancakes.....   would there be an interest in this type of decorating or do all decorators use fondant now?  I have photos in my album of a few of these cakes which I have done.

*Last edited by BCJean on 8 Aug 2015 , 10:23am
8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 9

Buttercream is trendy right now because people who have started doing cakes in the last 7 or 8 years don't know how to use it! There;s so much on youtube, you could definitely put them up and get an audience for it. It wouldn't hurt to do it, anyway.

birdsbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdsbug Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 9

I would love to see buttercream tutorials!  I'm not fond of fondant-everything...  I had a difficult time finding buttercream flower tutorials for a project, it was fondant/gum paste everything.  Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 9

I just came home from our state fair and the blue ribbon tiered cake was buttercream with cascading buttercream roses (photo on my facebook page).  So yeah, I think the interest is there.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 9

@bcjean~~Absolutely, YES.  I looked at your photo gallery, but wasn't able to find any website other than cakecentral (cc) that showed your work.  In several of the photos, it mentioned:   "in my series 20 minutes cakes for fun".  Would you provide a link to that series?   Thanks!

In my series of 20 minute buttercream cakes for fun.
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2260357/football-helmet-cake#QMwjPhTB4SzppOjG.99

DnDPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnDPastry Posted 8 Aug 2015 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 9

I say "go for it'! 

I'd watch! 

:)

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 2:55am
post #7 of 9

The last 6 cakes posted in my album are the 20 minute cakes I am referring to.  I have a total of 20 different cakes which I make like this.  I call then 20 minute because I take an 8 inch double layer cake....slice it, shave it, swirl the icing, air brush....and 20 minutes later I have a fun, completely edible cake.  I have not yet started making the tutorials, I was just trying to get a feel for interest or not. 

I do currently have a youtube of ....10 Buttercream Borders with Cakegenie.... which can search up if you google that.

and I have a website:  www.cakegenie.com

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 4:11am
post #8 of 9

Thanks!   I'll try to watch, although the current Adobe weaknesses are severely limiting my viewing. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 9

I love the buttercream cakes!!! I have seen some beautiful buttercream flower cakes that look just as good or better than the fondant cakes.   With a little practice anyone can learn how to make the buttercream cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%