Tips On Making Popular Naked Cakes. Does It Really Need To Be Fresh Toppers(Fruits, Berries, Flowers)?

Decorating By redgbee Updated 28 Jul 2015 , 4:54am by redgbee

redgbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redgbee Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 4:00am
post #1 of 5

Hello bakers, I would like to solicit advise on how I can pull off a naked cake I will be doing on August 8th for a wedding. I don't see much topic on forums about making naked cakes.   I have a full time job in the morning and per browsing the net, they said that since it is not covered in fondant/icing cake easily gets dry due to exposure.  It has to be baked like the day of wedding or before. (that's my dilemma). How can I keep it moist? Do i bake it , fill it in then pipe the outside border/filling on the site on day of set up? How can I do it advance as to save me from less stress? Do i bake, tort, fill, stack then wrap in clear wrap and place in fridge, like I start baking by Wed or Thurs? 

I also noticed that all naked cakes have fresh fruits, berries or fresh flowers or leaves as decorations. The celebrants are having Hawaiian theme party so they specify plumeria and hibiscus (hibiscus wilt so fast), is it wrong to add sugar flowers instead? 

I need advise bakers. It will be a 3 tier tall cake.  Thanks in advance. 

4 replies
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 4:05am
post #2 of 5

I have done one, semi frosted with berries, it's what the bride wanted, and she raved that it was fabulous and still moist.  I bake 48 hours prior to the event and there were no problems with it being dry.  As long as you place the flowers 2 hours prior to the reception your flowers should hold up.

redgbee Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 4:14am
post #3 of 5

thanks @kisamarie saw your seminaked cake. I would love to add berries and fruits but it's hawaiian theme so i guess no berries. i asked the couple to bring pineapple to add at the side of the table beside the cake. LOL. Im still thinking what fruit (small one) that maybe i can add to the cake.  The color theme is hot pink, orange and  yellow. The hibiscus petals easily gets bruised.  I really do hope I can pull this off. I will keep you posted once it's done. Thank you.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

Use flower sticks, it may help with the flowers staying fresh.  Her florist should have some, you may ask?

redgbee Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 4:54am
post #5 of 5

ok. i will definitely ask. thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%