Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Cake

Decorating By alannalouisexo Updated 23 Jul 2015 , 3:20pm by alannalouisexo

alannalouisexo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alannalouisexo Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 10:15am
post #1 of 11

Hey there!

In a few weeks time I'm doing a Mickey mouse clubhouse cake for my nephew's first birthday.

I'm having problems deciding what's the best way to go about this!

My sister wants a two tier cake, to give height for the clubhouse. But how on earth do I make a spherical cake??? (for the top of the clubhouse)

Should I attempt to make it with cake, or should I use marshmallow crispies? Or just cover a polystyrene ball with fondant?

Any help please :) :)  

10 replies
TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 11

This is a clubhouse cake I made for my son...I purchased the figures and the clubhouse is all rice cereal treats55b0f21d00f8f.jpeg

alannalouisexo Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 11

That's the idea I'm going for! I have bought the figures. I'll probably end up making the head out of rice crispies, and bake the body in a pyrex bowl to get the dome shape.

Did you just use fondant for the neck to support the head? I have visions of it slipping down and the dowel going out the top! 

TicTac521 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 11

Honestly, I can't remember, this was 2 1/2 years ago...I do remember the head skipping a little and as a last resort already at the party, I stuck a plastic knife in the head and shoved it down into the base lol.

alannalouisexo Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 11

well it looks amazing! Thanks for your help though :) hopefully my one is just as good!

TicTac521 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks...I'm sure it'll be great

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 11

if i used fondant i'd glue it onto the dowel with piping gel -- otherwise if it wasn't 110 degrees outside i'd use modeling chocolate

alannalouisexo Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 11

I did maybe think fondant for the entire head too! But the black fondant here doesn't taste great :( so modelling chocolate is a good idea! I won't have any problem with it being too hot, I'm from Scotland so a good day is 15 degrees C! Lol.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 11

modeling chocolate is so much nicer because you can get all the blips out with your hand -- with fondant i would stress more with that all the way around design plus like you say black fondant maybe doesn't taste as good and it can be ticky to use too worse than white -- or you could do a combination of the two too -- more choices than answers huh

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 11

then there's also marzipan :) takes color great and is oh so tasty

alannalouisexo Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 11

I've never worked with modelling chocolate, it scares me! But also seems its easier to get rid of mistakes as it melts so easily? Black fondant is an all round nightmare to work with, I avoid it as much as possible.

I would love to use marzipan, but half of my family hate it! So that is a straight up no unfortunately :(  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%