Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake

Baking By Sandiaa Updated 22 Jul 2015 , 10:56pm by TicTac521

Sandiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandiaa Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 3

I decided to give this recipe a go and don't get me wrong, it was great! But I was wondering if it would be too moist for it to be a tiered cake? It seems to be too moist to be able to do a 4 tiered cake (each being a different flavor) and it not toppling over! If so is there anyway I could firm it up a bit more (and maybe add a bit more chocolate to the recipe to make it richer) but without it being too dry?

2 cups white sugar

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

2 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 3

There a several posts on CC about this recipe. I thought it was too moist and have adjusted some of the ingredients. They are in grams but mainly I have reduced the water and changed the milk for sour cream. I have also added more flour.

Now I have a moist cake but with more structure.

You can find my recipe in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/822392/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake-what-am-i-doing-wrong

TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 3

This is my go to chocolate cake recipe.  I use Hershey's special dark cocoa...in may, I used this recipe to do a 4 tier wedding cake and it stood up great and was even stacked at the venue at 3pm for a 6pm wedding, then didn't get cut until 9pm...that said, it makes horrible cupcakes, they were always sticking to the paper...I have an order of cupcakes to do this weekend so I tried adjusting this recipe to work.  I took others' advice and substituted sour cream for the milk...I didn't adjust the baking powder or baking soda, but I did increase the flour to 2 1/2 cups...they came out GREAT...they were moist without being wet were just dense enough and beautifully delicate without crumbling...they released from the liners perfectly...I'm hoping this change will work well for it as a cake as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%