Decorating With Chocolate Icing

Decorating By cmcarden Updated 16 Jul 2015 , 6:07am by Apti

cmcarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcarden Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 3:44am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I have a bit of a decorating dilemma. It's my dad's birthday tomorrow, and I really wanted to decorate a cake for him. He had asked earlier about a cake with a bison on it because we went to a bison reserve last weekend and he loved it, so I was thinking of recreating one of the pictures we took to surprise him. However, when I talked to him today, he said he really wanted a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Obviously the bison could be done in chocolate icing, but I would need other colors for the rest of the cake that couldn't be made with chocolate. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use chocolate frosting but still decorate the cake in some way? 

2 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 5:40am
post #2 of 3

Use white frosting for the top of the cake, and chocolate cake for the sides/filling on the cake.

I did a version of this recently for a 3-tier graduation cake (12"x4" square + 8"x4" round + black graduation cap about 6"x3").  She wanted the entire cake done with dark chocolate cake and dark chocolate ganache.  If I'd done all 3 tiers in chocolate, the graduation cap (the "Star" of the cake) would have been lost in the dark colors. 

My solution was to fill and cover the middle cake with dark chocolate ganache, then OVER that, I placed white buttercream.  Worked like a charm.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 6:07am
post #3 of 3

OR...(still thinking about the bison design), you could put the white frosting on the sides and leave the top covered with chocolate frosting.  Bison silouhettes on the white sides would be beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%