First Ever Wedding Cake

Decorating By Cake Tin Updated 11 Jul 2015 , 6:36pm by Cake Tin

Cake Tin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake Tin Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 12:33am
post #1 of 7

Hello :)

My friend is getting married and I am making her wedding cake.

I have some experience making cakes, but never made such an important cake. I am allowed to design it (going to be a surprise on the day). Its going to be simple and elegant with some flowers as a topper with some flowers inbetween tiers.  

I was looking on advice on when to start the baking and decorating process, how early can I make the flowers?

Also what would be the best icing to use. I normally use one from the supermarket but as its a wedding cake, I was thinking of using a better quality icing but which one I don't know. What would anyone recommend to be a good one to use. I will get small packet before hand to get used to working with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am from the UK, don't know if this makes a difference to icing brands.  

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:46am
post #2 of 7

As far as the flowers, you can start those far in advance so that you allow yourself plenty of time. Is the reception indoors or outdoors?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:53am
post #3 of 7

The icing really does depend on how hot you think it will be.  If you live in a cool area buttercreams with actual butter like swiss meringue are wonderful, if it's really hot you'll need an all shortening recipe.  Like ypierce82 said do your flowers as far ahead as you can and store them in a cardboard box so they can breathe and remain firm.

Cake Tin Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 11:58am
post #4 of 7

I was looking at using fondant, so that I can transfer it easier. The venue is an hour away. I think the cake will be inside but its still August and will be pretty warm.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 7

I have used Squires Kitchen for a wedding cake and it is lovely.  For normal cakes I just use Tesco own brand fondant which is fine, but for something as special as a wedding cake, the extra cost for the Squires Kitchen fondant is worth it for the lovely texture and consistency.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 7

I use Asda's own fondant for everything, wedding cakes included and love the stuff.  I've tried Tescos as well and that was good too.  Renshaw do a great selection of colours but I personally find it way too soft to work with which makes covering a cake a total nightmare (I have done it..but I did NOT enjoy it!).  If your flowers are made from flowerpaste, they will be fine for ages if you keep them in a box.  My mum found some I made in primary school...still fine, 25 years later (although I wouldn't want to eat them now!) x

Cake Tin Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah, I normally use Asda or Tescos for normal cakes. Im going to try and order either a small pack or a sample of Squries and Satin Ice. See what they are like to work with. Thanks for all your advice. Now to practice my flowers :) x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%