Does My Cake Need To Be Cold With Sps?

Decorating By stephsweetreats

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 1

I keep reading that most bakers send their tiered cakes out cold.  I use SPS (have sent a few small two tiered out without it, but still with the column supports), but I'm freaking myself out reading horror stories. I'm mostly talking about two tiered cakes.   I do have the "once it leaves my facility it's on you policy" and I give customers the spiel on being careful, drive slow, level area, etc. , but am beginning to think I'm the only one not chilling the cake.  

The reason I don't chill them is mostly because of fridge space.  I'm a small bakery, so even though I have a large fridge, there's not a ton of extra room in it, and the large Bakery Craft boxes I use for tiered cake wouldn't fit through the door. (And there's no room for a bigger fridge). 

I've also had issues when I use to just be an at home baker with refrigerating any sort of fondant and having it sweat or having fondant decorations becoming sticky.  I have heard that placing it in cardboard would reduce this. I do use cardboard boxes now that I have a business, but still don't want to risk it.  I live in humid climate so it makes the sweating and stickiness worse.  

So I"m just wondering if anyone else doesn't chill the cake? Does using SPS make this ok?  

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%