Questions About A Wedding Cake

Decorating By aford917 Updated 16 Jun 2015 , 3:15pm by Annie8

aford917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aford917 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 11

Hi!  I have been asked to make this wedding cake and I assume the petals are made with gum paste. I was wondering if anyone may have any tips about making the petals?  Should I just roll the gum paste, cut and form (and hope for the best :) )? Also, how long would be suggested to let them dry (to keep their form) but still be pliable enough to bend slightly to put on the cake? Should I let them dry at all before putting them on? I have only worked with gum paste once and it was never all over a cake!  I'm in the high humidity season here, too!  Thanks!

10 replies
geekycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekycakes Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 11

Can you include a picture, or a link to a picture?

I have some experience with gum paste.

aford917 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 11

I was trying to, but it wouldn't let me do that or reply to add it!  I'm trying again now...hopefully with success! :)  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/64387469648341035/

aford917 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 11

Yay! Success!! :)

geekycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekycakes Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 11

I suspect those petals are made with fondant, not gumpaste.  Gumpaste will dry hard.

You could, in theory, make gumpaste petals by forming them around a cake dummy or something, but I'm guessing fondant, or fondant with some gum powder worked into it, is a better choice.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 11

I'm glad you posted the photo, because I thought it was the style where they cover the cake with single rose petals.

That is one very beautiful cake.

Found this link on YouTube.  Not exact, but it's close to the style you are showing. There are probably several others out there as well.  Love the internet!

aford917 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you both!  :)

aford917 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 11

I was thinking it was gum paste because the petals were so thin and ruffly.  The link I found it from also said gum paste.  I know it dries hard, but I was assuming that the petals would be taken off before it was cut. I was also worried about the harsh humidity here and if the fondant would even dry enough to stay up.  Thanks again for the input!

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 11

I have made two cakes just like this.  It is called a 'Rose Wrap' cake because when you look at it from above (birds eye view) it looks like an open rose.  It is one of the quickest and easiest designs I have ever done with such amazing results.  

http://www.magicmouthfuls.com.au/files/images/Rose-Wrap-Wedding-Cake-004.jpg

http://www.magicmouthfuls.com.au/files/images/Blue-Butterfly-Web.jpg

I covered all 3 tiers in fondant - and then assembled them.  (Centre dowel down all three tiers if transporting to another venue) then applied petals.  (You can choose to petal each tier individually then assemble on site, but the risk of damage to the soft petals was too much risk for me, as there is not much to hold onto once its done).

Then, starting with the top tier, apply the large fondant petals from top edge down to base - about 3 rows for a 4" high tier.  Then work on the 2nd tier, then work on the bottom tier.  

Really simple - roll out your fondant, cut a straight edge for the 'bottom' of the petal with your cutting wheel or knife, then cut a curved edge for the top of the petal - a few waves looks pretty too.  The length of each petal is different, but generally 1/3rd the circumference of your tier and you do about 4 petals per row, overlapping with the adjacent petals.  

Each petal is cut free-hand and to no particular size - just organic.  So, approx 4 petals per row, 3-4 rows per tier.  The petal heights & lengths start smaller at the top tier and gradually increase in size down the cake. You could ball and soften the top edge of each petal if you like, but I didn't bother in this instance.

Apply a bit of water/glue to the bottom half of your petal and hold up to your cake sides.  Once fondant feels stuck for good, then start playing with the top of each petal, bending and curly and folding in soft pretty waves and folds - like a rose petal.  I just used my fingers and open palm (no tools).  Then apply next petal strip beside it, overlapping slightly, and repeat until row 1 is done.  Then move down to row 2 and repeat, make sure the top of your petal (once curled over) will cover/hide the straight ugly bottom edge of the petal above it.  I liked the look of a matching the petal joins down the front of the cake, to create a distinct 'opening'.

To colour the top edge of each petal, you can paint with dust & alchohol for a solid colour (which looks great with silver or gold), or lightly dust with petal dust (which looks softer and appropriate for pinks).

If any of that doesnt make sense, just ask. Happy to help!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the wonderful post Magic Mouthfuls.  Those cakes are just lovely - and so elegant!  Your instructions are straightforward and very helpful. 

Now I need an excuse to try one of these!

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 11

Very pretty designs and great instructions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%