Cake Stacking Help. First Time Making Please Help.

Decorating By ravalichalasani Updated 10 Jun 2015 , 2:22am by MKC

ravalichalasani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ravalichalasani Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 2

Please help I need to make a patron standing bottle cake for this Friday. How to make sure to stack the cakes securely. It will be 4 layers of 6" cake with a board in between and bubble straws. So my question is, should i put a skewer or dowel in the center. And if the dowel needs to be screwed into the board or just inserted. I am using a 10" x 1" thick cake board like the ones found in Micheal's. ? Do I need to put a dowel inside the cake board or a screw. Please help. Also share any tutorials if you have. TIA

1 reply
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 2:22am
post #2 of 2

At only 6 inches high you may not need a center dowel. However, if you want to be sure, when I use a center dowel its with a cake board made of presswood. In my view it's weird to use a center dowel if it's not screwed into a wooden board. 

I screw a flange like this one on the wooden board http://www.homedepot.ca/product/fitting-black-iron-floor-flange-3-4-inch/988438

And a pvc pipe that can be screwed into the flange. If you ask a salesperson at the Home Depot, they can help you find the right parts.

Don't forget to make a whole in your cake board in the middle of your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%