Red Velvet Ice Cream Cake

Baking By flawless1 Updated 8 Jun 2015 , 7:16pm by flawless1

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 5

I'm attempting to make a red velvet ice cream cake for my father in law who lives 20 miles from me. My question is how would I transport the cake to keep it from melting. The recipe doesn't use churned or store bought ice cream but a cheesecake ice cream which consist of heavy whipping cream, cream cheese and sweet condensed milk.  With that being said do you think it would hold up longer because has more stable ingredients than just plain ice cream. My other question is since I'm going to freeze the cake after I frost it can I use a crusting cream cheese frosting instead of a whip cream frosting.

Here is the link to the recipe that I will be using.

http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/red-velvet-ice-cream-cake-recipe/

Thanks for your help. 

4 replies
CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

How  long will it take to drive those 20 miles?

I would frost the cake when  I got  to your father, that way  I could re freeze the cake if need be for a short moment and it wouldn't look too  bad.  I would  transport it wrapped up in plastic and in a water tight container with ice bags or  plastic ice blocks  around  it and on top of it.   That should make it last.

flawless1 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 5

It would take me about 20 minutes to drive to his home.

Would it be alright to frost the cake in the crusting cream cheese frosting?

I told my co worker about the cake I was attempting to make and she wanted me to make her one for their family reunion which will be at a park (if my fathers cake turned out alright). Could I use the same transporting instructions that you suggested, if not  do you have any other suggestions on how I can deliver it to her frosted. I thought about frosting it and putting it in a cake box and putting a piece of card board  under the box and then putting the ice bags under it (but I'm not sure if this would work)

Thanks so much for your help and for telling me about the ice bags and ice blocks

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

Well  I only know that whipped cream taste amazing when chilled,   that was the original ice cream and I have no clue about  cream cheese frosting.   Oh if it is only 20 min, make sure the cake is frozen solid, then  frost it, put into  a cake platter with lid, dry ice  ( can give freezer burns so be careful)  or freezer blocks something that wont leak water and  then drive.  The frosting will be chilled and the cake should still be frozen when you get there.

flawless1 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for your help 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%