Large Football Cake

Baking By suzyqbaking Updated 5 Jun 2015 , 2:17pm by suzyqbaking

suzyqbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqbaking Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there, 

I have to make a football cake for 100 people. What size cake pans would you recommend I use? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 9

Is it just the football, or is it a football on a sheet cake (like 1/2 a football). Is it an American football or European football (soccer)? Are you looking to dummy the bottom and put real cake on top to actually make the football shape?

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 9

If you are looking for the football to be completely out of cake you could start with 4 16" oval layers and then carve it down. Starting with that much cake will give you a base of around 150 servings, but then would cut down due to the carving of the football. I'd put a board in the middle that way it would aid in cutting. of the cake.

suzyqbaking Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 9

https://www.pinterest.com/vicvek/vaughans-40th/ its on this page. Its a flat ruby football cake. 

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 9

Then you can go about it both ways, the easiest would be using the oval cake pans and carving down from there. you could get away with using three layers of cake that way it's not as much cake and just carve the rounded rugby ball shape. This way you have some of the shape done rather than using square sheets of cake.

suzyqbaking Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9

Ok perfect thank you so much for your help! I will post a picture of the finished cake. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 1:28am
post #8 of 9

I suggest making a football cake and placing that cake as the top tier of a tiered  cake to get the number of servings.   Looked at your photos and it would be similar to the mobster themed birthday cake, except the football would replace the hat as the top tier.

I made a football cake using the Wilton oval pans and carved the football shape.   The actual football may only serve between 10-15 people because you'd have to carve away some of the cake to get the shape.   The remaining servings would have to be from the lower cake(s) in the tier.

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

If you purchased the Wilton oval pan set, it would give you all the pans needed to create a tiered cake with a football as the top tier.

suzyqbaking Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 9

I couldn't find any oval pans and was too late to order on line (last minute cake order). I ended up using a square pan. Cut a round in half and added to each end. It actually worked out pretty good! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%