How Do I Make Support For A Cake Like This?

Decorating By deebakescakes Updated 3 Jun 2015 , 7:53am by julia1812

deebakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deebakescakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 7

Ello everyone!! So I'm making a cake that will need support like this one. I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to make the bottom support where the piggybacks are. Help please and thank you! :)

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 5:54am
post #2 of 7

There is no picture / link attached 

deebakescakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry! I've been trying to attach a link but the site won't let me. Let's see if it works now. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/af/1f/c1/af1fc19ec47bfb2538f2bda38b0964a9.jpg

julia1812 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 7

My first thought is: the action figures are plastic. But might be completely wrong.  In any case. You can cut 4 thicker dowels to all the same hight. Built the action hero's around each one of them with fondant or modelling chocolate, making sure the hight doesn't extend the hight of the dowel and place the next tier/cake board on top. Etc...

deebakescakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks!! 

I'm guessing I need some engineering skills to assemble this stand. *Sigh* haha I've yet to find a tutorial that shows me how to actually assemble (screw, hammer, drill) pvc and dowels together.

The figures are piggy banks. Maybe the dowels run through them.

julia1812 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 7:53am
post #6 of 7

You don't need screws and a hammer. Imagine you do the figurines in the bottom layer out of fondant and have a thicker wooden or plastic dowel run through each one of them (all same length and thicker to be sure they are perfectly vertical. Then there's no need to attach/screw anything into the board. You just lay your next tier on top, have dowels in that one, next tier on top etc. Like, imagine the bottom would be cake. Use the same support system, just thick dowels instead of bubble tea straws or bamboo skewers or stuff like that.

julia1812 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 7:53am
post #7 of 7

You don't need screws and a hammer. Imagine you do the figurines in the bottom layer out of fondant and have a thicker wooden or plastic dowel run through each one of them (all same length and thicker to be sure they are perfectly vertical. Then there's no need to attach/screw anything into the board. You just lay your next tier on top, have dowels in that one, next tier on top etc. Like, imagine the bottom would be cake. Use the same support system, just thick dowels instead of bubble tea straws or bamboo skewers or stuff like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%