Freezing And Decorating!

Decorating By ARC1983 Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 6:25am by johnson6ofus

ARC1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ARC1983 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 3:09am
post #1 of 7

Alright cake decorators, I am making a 2 tier cake and have been told to freeze the layer as it makes icing them much easier. So, my question is....HOW THE HECK do I do this. Yes, I understand bake the cake, wrap in saran wrap, but after that I am lost. Do I defrost before icing, if so how? On the counter top, in the refrigerator, how long? Or do I crumb coat frozen layers and then stick in the refrigerator to defrost before the final icing? I am very, very new this and basically need step by step -idiot proof instruction!!! Thank you in advance.  

6 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 4:47am
post #2 of 7

1. Bake cake

2. Cool only a few minutes, and wrap tightly in saran wrap to trap steam and finish cooling

3. When cakes are at room temperature, torte and level them into the desired layers (if torting).

4. I slide wax paper between the layers if I have torted. Wrap again in the saran wrap and place on cake circle to freeze solid. 

5. After frozen solid, wrap in foil and ziplock bag to "store" and freeze. Hopefully, only a couple days and best in a manual defrost freezer. STOP-----BREATH----STEP COMPLETE

6. Prepare icing. Small spoonful of icing on the cake board to "glue down" cake, and place layer 1 on cake board (frozen solid). 

7. Make dam and add filling on top of layer #1 OR just plop on your first 1/4" of icing to create your first layer. Top with layer #2 cake. 

8. Make dam and add filling on top of layer #2 OR just plop on your next 1/4" of icing to create your second layer. Top with layer #3 cake.

9. Make dam and add filling on top of layer #3 OR just plop on your next 1/4" of icing to create your third layer. Top with layer #4 cake.

10.  Ice the sides of the entire cake (clean, no crumbs).

11. Ice the top clean, no crumbs.  If steps 10 and 11 successful, proceed to decorate as needed.

12. If you mess up step #10 or 11 above, scrape the cake down to just a remaining thin layer of icing ("dirty icing" or "crumb coat"). (reserve dirty icing to use as filling in some other cake, as it is now filled with crumbs). Refrigerate cake 15 minutes to set the "dirty icing" a bit, and try again to ice it clean, with no crumbs, and proceed to decorate.

You CAN STOP-----BREATH after the cake is either fully iced or dirty iced as that holds in moisture and you can decorate the next day.

ARC1983 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:08am
post #3 of 7

Thank you!!! So I DON'T let the cake defrost before icing/decorating? Once it's complete do I leave out or put in refrigerator to defrost completely before serving? I know, I am asking a lot of probably no brainers- it's for my son's first birthday, so I am probably really over thinking the whole thing!!!

ARC1983 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:09am
post #4 of 7

Thank you!!! So I DON'T let the cake defrost before icing/decorating? Once it's complete do I leave out or put in refrigerator to defrost completely before serving? I know, I am asking a lot of probably no brainers- it's for my son's first birthday, so I am probably really over thinking the whole thing!!!
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/822008/freezing-and-decorating#post_7624512#kYYfE0HXvQRZqXCU.99

johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:40am
post #5 of 7

No defrosting necessary. Cake thaws quickly anyway. But the slight freeze makes the decorating and handling easier. 

Climate affects where you store. MOST cakes taste better if served only slightly chilled, or room temperature. Larger cakes will "warm up" slower than a small cake. 

I usually chill until set up for the party, and display and leave out the 1.5 hours that leads to the cutting and serving. Unless you use fruits or cream cheese, cake is pretty safe to leave out. 

Bake and freeze- day 1(or up to 3 weeks ahead to time!) , dirty ice and/ or final ice- day 2, final decorating (fun stuff)- day 3. Serve late in day 3, or on day 4. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 6:22am
post #6 of 7

Awwwww.....you guys are so precious....

ARC1983, you've definitely got the "bug".  You sound exactly like me a couple of years ago.

johnson6ofus--you're a nice person and so patient and helpful to the new members of this site.  I appreciate you.

johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 6:25am
post #7 of 7

Thanks... but just insomniacing now. 130AM and on CC...lol!  ARC caught me in a weak moment...;)  Actually, I know it is sometimes hard to get it all straight in your head when you get bits and pieces of great advice. 

Hope the BDAY cake is fun and awesome. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%