Piping Advice Needed.

Decorating By CoinUK Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 10:15pm by CoinUK

CoinUK Posted 31 May 2015 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 11

The recent wedding cake I did was my first time making and piping with Royal Icing. It didn't look too bad, especially I made the icing too firm to begin with and then thinned it out to make it easier to pipe, but no matter how hard I tried, the icing still had little peaks at the end of the scrolls and the dots as well. 

You can see it more clearly on the middle image here

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3341385/first-wedding-cake

Is there a technique to preventing this? I tried to do it with the nozzle held in and stopped squeezing, also pulling away as I was squeezing, but both ways seemed to make it peak up. I'd like to be able to get the hang of this for the future.

10 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 4:58am
post #2 of 11

Do not pull away from the cake, but pull sharply to the left or right to "slice off" the peaks. A little powder sugar on the fingertip to go back over any "tips" works too.

winniemog Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:03am
post #3 of 11

I use a damp paint brush to pat down the peaks every so often before they dry. Nothing worse than a nipply-cake!

johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:07am
post #4 of 11

Quote by @winniemog on 3 minutes ago

nipply-cake!

Yes....I agree...  ;)

julia1812 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:49am
post #5 of 11

Nippte cake - that's hilarious. 

Lovely cake! You did a great job. 

As said above^ you want to cut off the and rather than pulling it. I find making a little swirl motion on the spot before removing the piping tip helps. And in the end the wet finger ^

I would also use a guideline for piping straight.  Noticed a little wave in your top tier. Like for example a 3" paper ribbon that you can remove after you are done. 

Not saying I'm a pro by all means. And no offence!  Just noticed it...

Apti Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 6:27am
post #6 of 11

What winniemog said.   You'll also improve with practice.

Very impressive for a first wedding cake!  Congratulations!

Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 7:42am
post #7 of 11

I do a swirly type of motion, but I like the slicing motion as well.

Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 7:43am
post #8 of 11

I do a swirly type of motion, but I like the slicing motion as well.

carolinecakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 11

Nipply-Cake lol yes I am guilty..... Thank you for the this. I need to practice my piping!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 11

if you get your royal the correct consistency you can pipe dots all day with one squeeze that will form perfect little orbs - it's awesome fun - add gum Arabic to your royal and they will be shimmery too

CoinUK Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 11

Looks like I need to work on the consistency then. It was the first time I made it for piping and it went VERY thick at first until I thinned it down. Guess it's something I need to practice with! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%