Will This Wafer Paper Technique Work?

Decorating By BeesKnees578 Updated 3 Jun 2015 , 12:56am by BeesKnees578

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a buttercream cake with a map going around it.  I have an image of a smaller cake (prob 6") that has one printed on a frosting sheet and applied to the cake.  I can't even wrap my head around how to get about 30" of map for my 9" cake.

I have a map poster that I bought and was wondering if I could outline in very thin marker on to the wafer sheets, then piping gel on the back and apply to buttercream.  Then hand-paint on the front of the wafer paper for a subtle color palette, with grain or veg oil?  I would think that veg oil would help combat the heat and humidity we are expecting.  But as the cake comes to room temp, will it bubble up underneath the wafer??

TIA for any help!

My other option is to stencil it on with my ECG world map stencil that I ordered.  I'm a little nervous because that will look much different than the printed map on the sample pic she gave me.

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 May 2015 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 4

Why don't you just get multiple icing sheets printed with a map and piece them together? You can cut those with scissors to the height of the cake, then apply them to the icing. I don't know that wafer paper will handle all of the manipulation you're talking about without buckling at some point...You could print a map on it and wrap it around the cake too.

BeesKnees578 Posted 27 May 2015 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 4

I've looked online for maps and found some that may work, but I don't want three of the same maps end to end.  I was looking for one continuous map to circle the cake.

I am not computer savvy enough to figure out how to do one map on three different pages.....

I could see if my husband could figure it out.

I'm going to play with it a little later today and put it in the fridge and see what happens.

BeesKnees578 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 12:56am
post #4 of 4

I was able to trace the map I bought onto 3 sheets of wafer with a super fine black marker.  I used dry dusts to color it in.

I wrapped the tier in modeling chocolate and brushed piping gel on to that.  Then applied the wafer paper. 

It turned out great!  Can't figure out how to upload a picture to this thread.  I am seeing no way to do that.  I will figure it out and post it.  Sadly, the only pic I got was while it was still in the cardboard box.  Hope to track down the photographer to get a pro shot.  

I haven't been on here in awhile and things have changed and the page is making me crazy! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%