Composimold

Decorating By littlemo12 Updated 27 May 2015 , 5:33pm by MissyTex

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 22 May 2015 , 12:15am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone used this product ..... Composimold.... I saw it on YOUTUBE. It is a reusable product to make your own molds. I will be doing a groom's cake --- replica of a army jacket. My plan is to replicate the buttons, medals, and badges with this product for the cake. The negative feedback on sites about this product deals with pouring hot liquid into the mold after it is made and the mold melting.... seems to be temperature sensitive. I figured since I will be using gumpaste that would not be a issue. 

7 replies
MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 22 May 2015 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have an answer for you, but I just got some mold material called Amazing Remelt. It says it is reusable, just remelt it.  I made a 3-D practice mold of a small glass apple last night and I am going to try to use it tonight with melted candy melts.  I haven't unmolded the apple yet.  So I hope it comes out.  I'll let you know how it goes.  But I would think if you are going to use your material for flatter items like buttons AND with gumpaste, it would probably work well.  Please let us know your results.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2015 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 8

They've been making reusable mold making materials for years...They're all temperature sensitive to a certain extent, so that's the drawback. If you use them the right way and don't pour hot isomalt into them they're okay. Silicone is better in the long run.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 8

thanks mike -- and the most important thing is that all of the molds are food safe like you already mentioned for your product when you said FC stands for food contact 

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 22 May 2015 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 8

I bought it but I haven't used it yet!

MissyTex Posted 27 May 2015 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

Composimold looks like a similar product, Amazing Remelt. 

I used Amazing Remelt to mold a practice 3-D apple with candy melts and it came out pretty good.  The project I bought it for is to mold the neck of a violin with candy melts, which also came out OK.  I only had enough material to mold the curved end of the violin, and it was learn as you go, but I'm happy with the outcome.  I bought it at Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupon.  If I had wanted to spend the money I would have bought silicon mold material, which would have worked better.  But for the price, I am super satisfied with Amazing Remelt!

BTW, I bought the neck of the violin on eBay last year.  It is raw wood, and last year I coated it with candy melts and used it directly. 

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 27 May 2015 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 8

How much was the Amazing remelt and what size did you purchase ? 

MissyTex Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 8

20 oz.  was about $35 at Hobby Lobby

but after 40% coupon, about $23

Composimold or Amazing Remelt will work just fine for you! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%