Equipment Review - Stand Mixers

Lounge By mrsmac888 Updated 20 Oct 2015 , 1:46pm by 70yearsyoung

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 20 May 2015 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 33

Well, it was bound to happen...my Kitchenaid Pro 600 stand mixer just had a heart attack and died.  May it rest in peace!!!!  

There is a gear in the motor that got stripped.  This is the third time.  My husband has replaced the gear twice already.  

The bad news is, I have a wedding cake due this weekend.  The good news is, my sister has a stand mixer that I can borrow to get me through the cake!  Thank goodness!!!!  The other good/bad news is, I have to find a new mixer, 'cause the hubby said he's not going to keep replacing the same broken part.

So, my question is...what brand mixer do you use?  What capacity it is?  Do you love it/hate it?  Why? How long have you had it?  Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Christina

32 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2015 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 33

Hobart, 20qt for the big stuff.  Its a workhorse.

And four KAs, 5 and 6qts.

mrsmac888 Posted 20 May 2015 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 33

Leah_s

20 qt!  Oh, how I'd love that!!!!  Some day...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 33

My KA died 4 yrs ago and it would have cost me as much to get it fixed as to buy a new mixer. I did a lot of research and found that the KA's aren't as great as they used to be, as they are using plastic gears now. In the old days they used metal gears, so they had longevity.

I only do cakes for myself/hobby now so I only have a 7 qt. I bought a Cuisinart and love it! I hate kneading fondant, so I do my fondant in it.... I found a good sale and it was reasonably priced. I personally prefer it to the KA. 

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 31 May 2015 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 33

I finally decided to upgrade mine after 20 years with my old standby KA. The older model KAs were actually made when Hobart owned the company. That was back when the gears were metal. So when I started looking, I wanted something just as sturdy.

Most of the models I found their ratings were still not as highly rated as the KA so I found a commercial grade, NSF certified, 8 qt KA model that I hope will hold up to all my work load. I am hoping that being commercial grade will make it a bit stronger and able to mix multiple batches of cookie dough, frostings and fondant each and every week! 

My 20+ yr old mixer was the standard, 4 quart bowl so just having the 8qt bowl is a hugh plus! I found out while pricing things out, that I could buy a 6 or 7 qt mixer for maybe just $100 less than what I spent on my commercial grade 8qt KA. The mixer's list price was just about $800 but my husband found it on ebay, brand new for $612 with free shipping. That made it as good a deal as any of the others out there. So far, I am happy but it has only been 1 week! LOL

Check it out. Here is a link to Kitchen Aide's website:  http://www.kitchenaidcommercial.com/commercial-products/8-quart-stand-mixer

Check it out then search out different stores including ebay for reduced prices.

Good luck and happy searching!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 31 May 2015 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 33

I have a MagicMill which is just over 20 years old but is starting to slow down so I'm also on the lookout for a new machine - I've been gravitating towards the KA (they're so pretty)! I may just go for another MagicMill though bc it's an absolute work horse and I've had no trouble with it up until a few weeks ago (it works but is slower and occasionally it stops altogether and then I have to sweet talk her into starting up again). I know some bakers who swear by the KA and some not so I think it's also a matter of preference.

SweetMischel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMischel Posted 31 May 2015 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 33

I have always been a KA fan, but now that they are making things cheaper I need to switch to another product, but what do I do with all the attachments. I had the plastic cog replaced and the new one broke.  Do not be caught up by pretty looks. In the end the only thing that counts is a sturdy machine that will stand up to time. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 May 2015 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 33

My KAs actually do have metal gears, I took the cover off to check. I have three or four KAs and rotate them out as I kill them, and I use them HARD. I also have a Cuisinart but I don't like it as much because of the shape of the bowl, but people who make a lot of bread say that it's good for that.

dderiggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dderiggs Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 1:27am
post #9 of 33

Hi, 

Check out Americas Test Kitchen on YouTube.  There is a stand mixer equipment review that was done in October of 2013.  Several brands ranging in price of up to over $800 were put through a multitude of tests and the Kitchenaid Pro and the 4 quart classic were the winners. 

70yearsyoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
70yearsyoung Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 33

I called Kitchenaid several times. My machine will not rotate the attachments fully. I am on a very small fixed income, 70 years old and cannot use my hands to knead anymore. I told the woman on he phone that eve though the warranty is for 1 year, I and other people who know how to use this machine should not have to be purchasing or repairing another machine. Someone I recently met, who also knows how to use mixers said he had the same problem. The attachments will not rotate fully as if they are stuck in the middle of a rotation.  I would like to know if there is anyone who has the professional/HD model (mine is red) that after a few years began to have problems. I only want people who use the machine properly according to the manufacturers recommendations. I expected this machine to last me for years and years, not a few years working it once or twice a week. I promised the Kitchenaid people I was going to go online here at CakrCentral to see what kind of response I get. Don't be surprised if there is an influx of ILOVE my kitchenaid. I am only concerned about the Professional/HD and by the way the name itself is misleading, it is not for "Professional" use, but home use.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 33

Speaking about equipment, I've been wanting to ask this question.  For awhile now I've been having trouble with my K Artisen 5 qt. mixer.  When I go to mix something, everything flies out of the bowl all over the place!!!  What a mess.  I'm wondering could something be wrong with the beater, or could it be a different problem.  A beater would be easy to replace if that is the problem.  Anyone else ever experience this?  Thanks for any help.

mrsmac888 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 33

70yearsyoung:

It sounds to me like your KA is doing the same thing mine did.  The gears in my motor stripped out and would no longer rotate the attachments.  My husband had to take it apart and replace the offending gear.

I treat my stand mixer like a queen!  I never abuse it.  Clean it after every use.  So, it's not an abuse issue.  It's a "make it cheap and sell it high" issue!  I totally agree that when we spend SO much money on an appliance, we should at least get a good 15 years out of it's life!!!  Even with the amount of use we home bakers put into it.  Nothing is made like it used to be.  Alas.....

I ended up purchasing a new KA 7 qt Proline.  Hopefully it will live longer than the last one.

mrsmac888 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 33

WeezyS:

Have you changed the beater than originally came with the mixer?  Are you putting too much in the bowl?  When you start the mixer, does it start mixing on low speed, or does it go right into medium or high?  Maybe your mixer isn't hitting low speed anymore....?

WeezyS Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 33

I borrowed my M's beate andhad the sme problem.  I've determined it isn't the beater, it must be a gear.  It doesn't tart on low, goes right to med or high.  My only problem is, thee are so many different gears to replac, how doyou know which oe?

mrsmac888 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 33

When I was having problems with mine, I Googled it and found lots of info on how to fix it....

I'd start here.

http://www.mommyssweetconfessions.com/2013/02/10/how-to-fix-a-kitchenaid-professional-mixer/

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 33

Yes, Kitchenaid's do cost a lot, but when you consider the amount of use they get, you are getting your money's worth out of them, I think.  I am using my mixer almost every day. I think it cost $450 when I got it new and I've had it 6 years now.  I have to replace a gear or motor or something because the speed keeps changing on its own, but hubs did research and he can buy the replacement for $60.  

I think I can fairly say, I've gotten my money out of my mixer.  Yeah, I'm not too keen on wanting to buy a replacement one, but it's served me well. 

If my mixer was giving me fits the first year I bought it, I'd be upset, but after 3 years, it's somewhat expected in my opinion.

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 10:38pm
post #17 of 33

My old KA is 34 years old and still going strong, but can't hold a double batch of butter cream without making a mess. After researching the comments for various models on Amazon I purchased the KA Commercial 8 qt NSF. I love it! The low speed is slow enough so the powdered sugar doesn't fly all over the place. It still takes all the attachments as well, and the whisk, paddle and dough hook are stainless steel.

70yearsyoung Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 33

mrsmac888

Kitchenaid is selling it's product as dependable, and reliable.  I use this product according to the manual and do not abuse the machine.  I only use it once a week as I am not in business. When I was in business I had a 32 quart floor model (not Kitchenaid). This supposed reliable and dependable product should last for years and years not a few years. There is something wrong when we have had Kitchenaids for 25,30 or more years and now it does not stand up for more than 4 or 5??????

You did not say how long you had your machine before you had to have it fixed.

I see that people have had a problem with the gears slipping, i.e. bypassing  #1 speed which is an important step. Therefore this must be a manufacturing flaw that Kitchenaid is not taking responsibility for and therefore does not care since they are not losing money. Isn't anyone surprised that there is only a ONE YEAR WARRANTY on such an expensive machine???????

The model I purchased is the Professional 500/HD and it is NOT for use in business. It is not professional grade it is consumer grade. I use it in my home kitchen for personal use.  I would like to know what is professional about an expensive mixer that craps out like this and a company that does not stand behind its product?  

And now I am going to check to see if the speed bypasses #!. There is no reason for a machine to fail like this!!!!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 33

I do not bake professionally so my KA gets used about 3 or 4 times a month.  However, I use it to make bread, buttercream, meringues, cookie dough etc.  I also have the grinder, juicer and slicer.  It works perfectly and has since 1974.  But mine is a Hobart. That is the real secret.

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 7:53am
post #20 of 33

Costumeczar, was wondering if the Cuisinart that you have is the 7qt....I saw on one ebay for a good price and thought the shape of the bowl would be great for frosting and anything containing flour n powdered sugar, etc...maybe I am wrong...bought my KA in 1989 and its still going strong, only had to replace the paddle about a year ago...I know I will never get another that will last this long, been used at least 3-5 times a wk and some days all day long...

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:45pm
post #21 of 33

Isn't there some federal law forcing retailers to take back a product that has failed shortly after its warranty ended? I was able to exchange my iPhone recently for a brand new one because of some obscure European law that supersedes UK law. The battery was worn out and I had just mentioned that it made me feel sad that I had to give up a brilliant phone that I loved because of a defective battery. Maybe it was my manner as well as I was not shouting, nor demanding, just feeling genuinely sad and down. KA is a big company, you can't find someone that will listen to you but if you went back to your retailer? Face to face? @70yearsyoung  It could work, especially as there is proof that you have rang KA several times about the issue with the gears. Essentially your machine was defective from birth. Please try.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 8:40pm
post #22 of 33

There seems to be a longevity difference between Kitchen Aid's  made by Hobart and the later ones made by Whirlpool.  Hobart sold the Kitchen Aid line in 1986 to Whirlpool.  So those of us who have one of the old ones protect and cherish them.   I even put an old rose decal on mine.    I want it to know it is loved.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 11:46pm
post #23 of 33

For one very simple wonderful thing, the new 7 quart 1.3 hp Kitchen Aid is my favorite now.

It has a low-slow gear on start up, with enough power to start mixing without throwing either dry ingredients, or wet ingredients out of the bowl.  It's very nice. 

Texashobbybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texashobbybaker Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 6:00pm
post #24 of 33

After using my daughters KitchenAid for a year,  I did a lot of research and ratings.   I bought a Cuisinart.   It is wonderful.   Makes all my MMF without any problem.   Could not be happier.   Also I bought it on superbowl Sunday for under  $200. 00.   It has a timer, is easy to clean,  and the bowl is tall so it's easy to add powdered sugar. 

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 6:18pm
post #25 of 33

Cuisinart. Strong machines with a long warranty. I don't make cakes for a living, but bought 3 Cuisinarts and sent one to my sister in South America (she has the cake business). It's been 8 years; still working as new. I kept the 7-quart at one house, and the 5.5 qt at another. I make bread and cookies and needed a mixer that was not going to break easily.

Looks like Kitchen Aid is still having problems. I have been going to this link for years to check out if it's gotten better.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

WeezyS Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 4:09pm
post #26 of 33

Just wanted to put in an update on my Kitchenaid mixer problem.  I took it to a We Fix It Shop and all it needed was some adjusting.  Everything had come loose due to so much use and the vibration.  It only cost $20.00 to fix it!  And to think I almost gave up and bought a new one. 

So now I'm up and running good as new!

70yearsyoung Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 6:17pm
post #27 of 33

My son paid $75 to have my KA fixes. $50 for labor and the rest for parts. This was an official KA fix it place.  I was happy to hear that the Cuisenart has a strong warranty. It seems they stand behind their product. When anyone calls KA the reps ask questions. They ask how much flour do you use? How long do you kneed the dough? What speed are you using. If your answers are not according to the manual the rep will through the problem back in. Your lap. My machine is working fine now but what if my son had not helped?

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 6:41pm
post #28 of 33

I love my KA, but it's not for high volume like the commercial ones. So I can see why the rep would ask questions. If you are over working it, then it's your fault, but you don't know if you are until it breaks. Catch 22 I guess. worried.pngIt is weird for it to fail so soon, I've had mine for 7 years now and no problems so far. I use it 2-3 times a month, sometimes twice a week. I don't bake for a business, so consumer usage only. I will say I'm kicking myself for not returning the beater blade since the paint was chipped on it. Someday I'll get a new blade.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 19 Oct 2015 , 6:46pm
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 7:14pm
post #29 of 33

Very unhappy with KA in recent years (I own 5, plus my daughter's 6qt. Pro is in the bakery for gluten free-only baking). Bought an Artisan 2-3 years ago and it's easy to see it's fragile and won't last long. Heard that Whirlpool had repented from its cheap/evil manufacturing so bought another Artisan a year ago as well as my daughter's 6 qt. Pro. This Artisan does seem to be better, but I definitely don't trust it to last like my 25-yr-old 4.5 qt. that will outlive me. The 6 qt. Pro is horrible -- so loud and whining that we literally have to shout at each other from 10 feet away in order to communicate. I called KA within the warranty period and they replaced it, but this one is just as noisy. These get used every week June-Sept., but I only do 1-3 cakes most weeks so it's not a ton of use, and I don't make MMF or bread with them.  (Also have a 10 qt. and 20 qt. --- and an Agbay and a fondant roller. Spoiled, right?)

Now, I want to get my future DIL a mixer and I'm totally flummoxed.  Really wanted it to be a KA, but also want the quality we were all accustomed to for so long.  Cuisinart looks good, but I just watched a demo video and she had to release the head with a lower lever every time she raised it and every time she lowered it. Yikes! If you own a Cuisinart please weigh in on this. If you know of something better I would definitely appreciate learning about it.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 7:27pm
post #30 of 33

handymama, what do you mean about "she had to release the head with a lower lever every time she raised it and every time she lowered it"?

I own two Cuisinarts, one 7qt and another 5qt...Not spoiled or anything, but if I want to bake at my aunt's house (I visit there once a week), I want a mixer there. I also sent one to my sister in South America. Five-year warranties for all three mixers have expired but we never got to use the warranties. She has a cake business, I don't. I just wanted to make bread and I've been doing it, plus the regular use for home cookies and cakes.

My next choice was Viking. KAs were so pretty with all the colors, but after reading about all those nightmares, I couldn't get myself decide based on the gorgeous colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%