Has Anyone Used Rock Candy Sticks For Cake

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 31 May 2015 , 6:06pm by Kim1182

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys! So I'm going to be making my daughters birthday cake next month. I have seen many photos and YouTube videos of Frozen themed cake with the candy rock sticks on top behind Elsa. All of them however have used a Styrofoam top layer. I really want to avoid having to do that. I want to be able to stick it in the actual cake. I'll be using fondant and I'm scared the weight of the rock candy will stretch the fondant and fall or droop over. Any suggestions? Has anyone used it for a similar cake? 

4 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 5

I've never used it, but I've seen it being used on fondant. Maybe if the you put the thicker layer of rock candy on the bottom it will be OK?

http://thecakeblog.com/2011/05/rock-candy-cakes.html

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 20 May 2015 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 5

How about inserting straws to hold the rock candy sticks? 

Bakers_Wife_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers_Wife_09 Posted 20 May 2015 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 5

I have used them in a double layer cake covered in buttercream and it didnt fall over but I definitely wouldn't transport it with them stuck in. Just make sure you get one with long sticks that way it will counter the weight of the candy. 

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 31 May 2015 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 5

I used them on a buttercream cake. Made sure the stick portion was cut to the height of cake (like you'd do a dowel) which allowed the rock candy to adhere to the buttercream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%