Styrofoam Top Layer Cake With Fondant

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 18 May 2015 , 8:21pm by sharonsamazingcakes

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 17 May 2015 , 12:27am
post #1 of 2

Hello every one! I just joined so I am new to this site. I have a question regarding the use of Styrofoam on a 3 tier cake. Originally I wanted to make 2 tier Elsa Frozen cake for my daughters birthday. I wanted to use the candy rocks on a stick for the top layer decoration, however the more I think about it the more I'm getting concerned about it not holding up and stretching the fondant. That's when I thought about using Styrofoam. I have never used it in my cakes before and would appreciate any tips regarding tips on how to cover with fondant and how to secure it on top. If anyone has ever used candy rocks in real cake and successfully made it last the whole day with out it falling apart please I am in much need of advice! I appreciate all the help! 

1 reply
sharonsamazingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonsamazingcakes Posted 18 May 2015 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 2

I have never used candy rocks but I have used styrofoam many times.

When using it on cakes I:

1. Make sure that it is smooth and even. if not I sand it with a fine piece of sandpaper to the texture that I want

2. I use either buttercream or lightly brush with water, then cover with fondant

3. I smooth with my cake smoother to even out any lumpy areas

4. Of I have figures or flowers to insert into the styrofoam covered cake, I use a skewer to make the hole , then add the flower or the support dowel/wire for my figure

Hope I have helped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%