Meringue Buttercream And Lemon Curd, Help!

Baking By MaisonV Updated 16 May 2015 , 8:26pm by Pastrybaglady

MaisonV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisonV Posted 16 May 2015 , 5:26am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I've seen on the forums that people combine 1 part swiss meringue buttercream 1 part lemon curd, but mine has curdled and I don't know what to do!

I've tried re-melting 1/4 of it and re-adding it while whisking, didn't work! Maybe I put too much lemon curd?

Also, do you use the paddle or whip attachment for this?

Anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks!

2 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 16 May 2015 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 3

I dont know if it can be saved.  make sure it is at room temperature and just let it mix.  might take a while before it comes together.  (I use the paddle).  If not, start over and try adding in a little curd at a time.   I make lemon curd buttercream with SMB frequently and have not had a problem.  I don't really measure how much curd I am adding, but equal parts seems like a lot.  I make sure the SMBC is at room temp and freshly mixed up smooth, and then start adding curd maybe 2 tablespoons at a time until I like the taste.  I am thinking it is more like 1/4 the amount of buttercream at the most.  I use RLB's lemon curd recipe and cook it at 190 degrees for an extra 20 or 30 minutes stirring constantly (really boring)  but it makes a great lemon curd that is very thick.  I also add a tablespoon or two of limoncello into the finished bc.  so good!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2015 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with yortma 1/2 & 1/2 sounds like too much.  If it was melted down. I would paddle it on low for a good long time but I don't think you're going to get a workable icing.  I would make another batch of smbc and add some of the mixture you have until you get the taste you want and freeze the rest of the failed batch and use it for future lemon smbc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%