Help My Smoothers Are Static

Decorating By bubbles cakes Updated 16 May 2015 , 1:05pm by -K8memphis

bubbles cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles cakes Posted 15 May 2015 , 9:31am
post #1 of 7

I am trying to decorate a large wedding cake but my icing smoothers are really static, sticking to my icing after a few smooths and a real nightmare.  I've had them for years and they have never done this before.  I've tried washing them, rubbing them on literally everything I can find (including tin foil!!! In a moment of desperation )  I have another 2 cakes to ice and don't know what to do.

Every piece of dust is sticking to them so the largest cake has flecks all over it aaaaarrrrggghhh!!

can anyone give me a tip or spell or anything to help

6 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 May 2015 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 7

I didn't even know this was possible!  I looked up static and it's always in relation to fabrics and it's usually recommended to use a dryer sheet - not so good for cakes.  I did read something about metal absorbing the elecritricity so instead of rubbing the smoother with foil how about rubbing or wrapping the cake with foil to absorb the electricity?  If the foil works you could wrap the smoother with foil...  Just guessing here.  I'm no expert obviously.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 May 2015 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 7

Have you tried putting a piece of waxed paper between the smoothers and the cake?

Maybe you have a lot static in the air. Perhaps (after removing the cake from the room) you can spray some static guard or wrinkle release in the air in the room?

Is your frosting too wet? That's what it sounds like to me; but I've never used smoothers on frosting, just on fondant. Perhaps you talking about the thing you used to scrape and smooth the sides of the cake? I wish I could remember the name of the right now. lol

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2015 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

wow -- so not cool -- i don't know here's some guesses -

rub the smoothers and/or the cake with a smooth blob of the fondant?

hair spray's supposed to work -- jk jk jk hahaha

my husband has worked in printing and static-y paper is a big deal so i'll go ask him...i'll post back if he's got anything good to say/relate to fondant --

what a weird problem

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2015 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

what i wonder is if your house has some electrical charge running through it or something? i mean who knows but he said de-humidifying helps -- and to ground yourself by touching something before you pick up the smoothers --

if you have a dusting of cornstarch on them  they still get static? you can remove the cornstarch later -- so strange!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2015 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 7

mb -- thank you for the link -- i just asked my husband and he said oh yeah you add humidity not subtract it -- the devil is in the details huh -- sorry about that, bubbles cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%